Your Browser Software

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Peter, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Peter

Peter Administrator

Just a quick nag about browser software, this won't apply to about 90% of you but around 10% visitors to this site (registered members or otherwise) still seem to be using Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6 browser.

Many of these 10% may be visiting from schools or workplaces where they cannot choose what browser they use (I can't tell) but, if any of you can, you should be using a later version of internet explorer (7 or 8) or preferably Mozilla's Firefox 3.

This is not only for security reasons but just to give you a better browsing experience overall. Internet Explorer 6s support for many modern website development practices is horrific.

Here are links to download pages for both Firefox 3 and IE8:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  2. storm

storm Forum Tempest

1 person likes this.
  3. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

4. Peter

Peter Administrator

Lol, I am aware of all the other browsers but I thought that people still running IE6 would probably transition better to IE or FF. Of course that isn't a reason to look into other browsers, IE and FF are just the ones that I am most comfortable reccommending.

TL;DR: Go with whatever you want as long as it's not IE6

5. JASR

JASR Active Member

6. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

IE6 was the last IE that was any good IMO. But i suspect people still run IE6 not out of loyalty but more out of ignorance, either not knowing how to update or not knowing the newer versions are better.

7. Peter

Peter Administrator

If anyone here wants help upgrading I'd be happy to write instructions...

IE6 is a nightmare from a web developers standpoint because it doesn't render CSS correctly and there's lots of other weird random bugs like margins it inserts under images. It also doesn't have naitive support for transparency in PNGs which is what I find most annoying. I don't even bother developing for it on personal projects, I just give the user a message reccommending they upgrade to view the site correctly.

8. Mindraker

Mindraker New Member

I've been relatively pleased with Opera. It's faster, but it likes to crash? And it does like to keep that last page up. Gotta remember, "oh... right... can't leave the BDSM page as the LAST visited page if Mom is coming to use my computer tomorrow."

9. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

I've not found Opera to crash very often...

I switched to Opera a while ago when whatever version of Firefox was newest at that point kept consistently crashing whenever I had a few .pdf files open.

And you can change what Opera starts up with in preferences.

Options are:

Continue from last time
    Continue saved sessions
    Start with homepage
    Start with speed dial
    Show start-up dialog

1 person likes this.
  10. jamesdn

jamesdn Banned

The only reason anyone uses internet explorer is to download another browser

11. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

Not at all accurate. A lot of people here use Internet Explorer because it saves the hassel of installing or getting used to another browser, or because they like it, or well for simply no reason at all.

12. jamesdn

jamesdn Banned

So this forum is all about censorship huh. great stuff, stop deleting my posts

13. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

Your posts will stop being deleted when you learn to follow the rules. The post from this thread which was deleted was way out of order and beyond the rules.