UK General Elections 2010

Discussion in 'Humour and Debate' started by Capt_Sparrow, May 1, 2010.

?

What do you think will be the result of the General Elections?

Poll closed May 6, 2010.
  1. Labour Majority Government

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Conservative Majority Government

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Liberal Democrat Majority Government

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Labour/Lib Dem Coalition Government

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Conservative/Lib Dem Coalition Government

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Capt_Sparrow

Capt_Sparrow Active Member

The General Elections in the UK, to determine the new Members of Parliament and the Government, will take place next Thursday 6th May. It seems that the result will be very close this time, so the three largest parties, Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat, each have the chance to be a part of the new government. Also, for the first time, the three main party leaders - Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg - have taken part in live TV debates. It also gives me the chance to make a poll :p. So, what do you think will happen in the elections next week?

As this is the H&D section, also leave your comments about the elections/politics, "bigoted women", Tory election posters etc...

2. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

I'm really scratching my head over this election. Not sure who to vote for. I did a survey recently which apparently helped you to decide who to vote for (it gave extracts from all the parties manifestos). It was a four-way split! lol (Green, Lib, Labour and Conservative).

I will definitely vote - just don't know who for yet :eek:

3. gt7278

gt7278 Active Member

The election has been quite fun to follow, all the gaffes, eggs etc... The debates have been a good thing I think. I hate all that "I met a ..." stuff they all kept doing in them though. It's the first one I get to vote in so I'm pretty excited to do that. I'm pretty confident of my political convictions sooo it's easy for me to decide who to vote for. I did a bunch of those policy survey things too and it always came out overwhelmingly the same thing.

I don't think we'll end up with a majority government though, at least that's what the polls suggest. It appears the turnout will be a lot bigger too, so that's good. I'm nervous as to how it will all turn out.

4. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I quite agree, although I don't understand most of the stuff to do with politics. I think we will get that rare outcome in the UK of a hung Parliament, only because many people are talking about it.

5. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Does anybody have decent links for the second and third debates (not cut up)?

Oh, and I like Nick Clegg although it seems like David Cameron has the lead.

6. Capt_Sparrow

One opinion poll showed that Cons would have a majority of 2! And on a facebook poll, Nick Clegg was voted the leader most people wanted as PM (Brown 2nd, Cameron 3rd)...so it all seems up in the air!

7. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Yeah, the opinion polls aren't much help really, but I hope you don't get a hung parliament.

I notice you haven't got an option for labour/conservative coalition - why's that?

8. Capt_Sparrow

I don't think a hung parliament (with a coalition government) will be so bad. With our current system, if we get a majority government, one party controls both government and parliament and so has a huge amount of power and can pass through legislation that may be unpopular to the public. This can still happen in a coalition government but having two parties in it will hopefully account for more viewpoints.

Because hell hasn't frozen over yet :twisted:. The last time that happened was during WWII and, although the centres of each party are much closer now than they have been in the past, each party would lose a lot of their non-centrist support and members would probably break off to form "real" Conservative and Labour parties. Short of a national emergency, I can't see it happening.

1 person likes this.
  9. Alessadri

Alessadri Forum Skull

Obviously I know nothing about UK politics, but I've never heard of a hung parliament that actually does something worthwhile. Maybe I shouldn't draw parallels between the Indian and the UK politicians, but yeah.

10. gt7278

gt7278 Active Member

That isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your perspective and the alternatives available. Some Labour figures are trying to get people to vote tactically for Lib Dems to stop a Conservative majority for example.

So I voted! It was fun, went to some creepy school (all schools are creepy when they're empty). Suspicious about doing it in pencil, why not pens? The Labour candidate was outside in the rain looking a bit miserable and gave me a mini ballot paper telling me where she on the ballot paper... But they ticked it instead of crossing :eek: There was even a car with people shouting out from loud speakers going around. Does last minute electioneering work?
    Is it worth following the coverage tonight and where? From what I understand most of the results wont be declared until tomorrow morning anywayyy

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  11. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Seems a bit strange that that they asked you to use pencil. Doesn't that rub off quite easily?

I normally don't bother watching it, they usually do it over night and once all the votes are in you cannot do anything to change the result, so I don't bother watching it as it unfolds.

12. TempusFugit

Good question... so I googled it :razz:

According to BBC News:

However... some local authorities insist that you can only use a pencil. It really depends on your local constituency.

I have also provided the link as it makes some fascinating (and comical reading - lol).

CLICK HERE

I voted after work this evening. There was the usual gaggle of desperate candidates (who you never see any other time). One of the cheeky beggars asked for my ballot number and the first line of my address! My husband gallanty intervened and said "No... it's private".

I will be watching the results - so a long night for me!

13. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

So the people have decided and it looks like a hung parliament.

According to the BBC at around 4:45pm with only 2 constituencies still to be decided, the Conservatives are short by 21 seats, and David Cameron has offered a deal to the Lib Dems to try and form a government.

What do you guys think they will do?

14. Capt_Sparrow

The Lib Dems are considering Cameron's offer and it'll take a day or two before they announce their decision. I have a feeling that if the Tories have offered a referendum on voting reform (one of the Lib Dems' key policies) they'll accept the offer because they cannot form a majority with Labour... but who knows? :p

Lol same thing happened to me (without the husband bit obviously :p).

15. REM.

REM. Member

when will people understand that the Conservatives only have the super rich at heart .
    When it is to late !

16. elfy

elfy Little Spoon

possibly a lot of new voters were way too young to remember what it was like living under Thatcher..:(
    Now we all have to pay I guess..cheers guys :p

1 person likes this.
  17. moobydick

moobydick New Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. TempusFugit

LOL!!! Oh mooby... that says it all!!! :eek:

19. Capt_Sparrow

Gordon Brown has gone (well almost :p)! Probably the worst thing that could happen to the Tories as Clegg will now seriously consider joining forces with Labour...

20. Mato

Mato Member

Lib Dem supporters would be absolutely furious if they formed a coalition government with the Conservatives - hence why I think (and hope) that's not going to happen.