The one item of the future you want today

Discussion in 'Humour and Debate' started by El_Nino, Sep 5, 2008.

1. El_Nino

El_Nino New Member

If any of the items you believed that would exist in the future were available today, then which item would that be?

For me, it would have to be a machine capable of travel by teleportation. Scientists are already capable of teleporting particles and I do believe that some time in the future, it would be possible to teleport living organisms.

For obvious reasons, it will be a quick and a hassle free way to travel from A to B and would make daily life a lot easier.

Although, if there are any risks such are those featured in The Fly, then I may reconsider my opinion!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

Teleportation gets my vote too! and lol at The Fly - yes, they would definitely need to make sure there was no risk of transmutating!

Not sure what else at the moment... will have to have a wee think :razz:

3. Nyna

Nyna New Member

Hmmm....yeah i'd say teleportation is a good one. =)

4. ProofReader

ProofReader New Member

Teleportation would be fab but, in the absence of that, a personal small vertical take off craft but better/safer than the gyrocopters which are currently around.

I'd also love to see something which would ensure that people be more honest, caring and respectful of others. That is some sort of device (perhaps an implant?) which would stop child abusers, terrorists, wife beaters, animal mistreatment, etc. Oh, and we might as well chuck in a cure for cancer and other insidious diseases too! :smile:

I also believe that it won't be long before we'll have something like a wrist-watch (had to hyphenate that word cos the bad word filter made the middle of it go 'funny'!) which will be not only a timepiece, but a music player/receiver, a mobile phone, internet/email browser, gps, etc., all in one.

5. Ches

Ches Super Moderator

H o v e r b o a r d ! ! ! !

6. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

Well The Fly was using outdated computers, incapable of being able to tell the difference between Fly and Human DNA, where modern versions would be programmed properly to tell the difference. If you remember he had trouble at first getting the programming right, so who knows what other bugs (excuse the pun :twisted:) were in his system?

7. El_Nino

El_Nino New Member

True, true. Though, all systems have faults and there's always a probability of a defect within any system :twisted:

Another item I would love to have would be the Jet Pack, although some exist now, they are not as advanced in technology at this very time but to be able to travel in the sky at your own free will is something I would love

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. Ches

Ches Super Moderator

A lightsaber would be nice, although not from the future - of course, originally from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. But to our standards, they're damn futuristic and uber cool. So there.

edit: see... they are cool. Shame mine are only replicas :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  9. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I believe everything we say/do can be scientifically accounted for and that everything we do is just the result of a combination between predisposed nature and chemical reactions.

So I should like to know the genetic code/chemical combination that results in each personality trait/characteristic.

And from there on in, we'd understand exactly why everybody is what they are.

*sighs happily*

10. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I think a time machine would be cool. Whether or not it will happen in the future is another matter.

11. Capt_Sparrow

Capt_Sparrow Active Member

Maybe it already has been invented in the future! I agree, a time machine would be cool, as would a teleporter be (perhaps based on the same physics - wormholes and suchlike). Aside from that, a levitation device would be fun, or an anti-gravity pad.

12. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

It could be that a time machine was invented in the future from which time was reversed. So now we are living in the past and have no knowledge of there being one in the first place. Alternatively, it could be another time on a parallel universe that we were originally from, being in the past or the future. They may have a time machine too... :razz:

That would be very fun.

I like Ches' picture as well.

13. Vik

Vik New Member

Sorry in advance for being all practical - I do like the idea of teleporting too!

I'd like to see supermarkets with all their produce tagged electronically - maybe some kind of super-barcode or something. Anyways, at the check out there would be like... an archway you have to go through (like going through security at the airport) and it would automatically calculate the cost of everything in your trolley in a second and the amount would come up on a screen in front of you. You could then choose the option of paying automatically and it would scan you for your credit card chip and take the money from your account. Or you could choose to pay in cash, or if it was too much to put some stuff back and try again or whatever.

It would mean you could put things you take off the shelves straight into shopping bags without having to take them all out of the trolley again, get someone to scan them, have them all scrunched up on the conveyor belt with your bread getting squashed by your orange juice only to then have to hurriedly stick everything into bags at the same time as searching through the million slots in your purse/wallet for your credit card, loyalty card and god knows what else, with the prospect of taking them all out again at home! It would also help with the move from plastic to material bags, maybe...

14. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That sounds like a good idea Vik, but if that were to happen, I would be out of a job :(