The Gallery

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Peter, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Peter

Peter Administrator

The gallery has been lacking activity a bit for the last year or so probably for a combination of reasons but I think it's a shame because it could be quite a nice place for people to share sketches.

One of the reasons may have been because the commenting feature broke (after upgrading something I think). Another problem may have been the fact that the gallery isn't integrated very closely with the forum so it's kinda easy to forget about it.

Well I've fixed the commenting (I think) and after about a days worth of coding/scratching my head I've created the 'latest images' box at the top of the homepage.

I'm hoping this will bring activity in the gallery back up but I'd also like to hear suggestions from everyone else of how it can be made better.

2 people like this.
  2. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Thanks for the update, let's hope it will increase activity. I just tried commenting on your test image, the first time it worked, but when I went to edit that comment, it created a new comment. I don't think I did anything wrong :s Not a big problem, but hey, just to point it out.
    Edit: It only happened on the first comment btw :)

Also I looked at the uploadable sizes again and it looks like giant images are allowed in the English Expert room:

Might be a tad annoying looking at images that are way off proportion ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. Peter

Peter Administrator

Good spot, I've updated it. The system for managing sizes on the gallery is absolutely poop. I will go into the database and mass update them all some time.

It seems to only be when a regular user is editing the comment, I'll do some testing when I get the chance.

Signature images also appear to be broken so I'll try sort that too but it'll be at the bottom of the list.

4. Calu

Calu New Member

Another reason the gallery has been neglected might by that the only link was placed in the 'site-logo-and-ad-banner' area which doesn't usually get a lot of attention. The first time I heard (read) of the gallery was yesterday when db mentioned he would upload pictures to the gallery and Bellicimo pointed out where to find the link :D I never even considered taking a closer look at that corner of the website before...
    The 'latest images' box makes the gallery a way more obvious feature and if the title of that box was a link to the gallery (or the 'What's New' part of the gallery) it would make things even easier ;)

2 people like this.
  5. Peter

Peter Administrator

Your definitely right, one of my flatmates said to me yesterday (in reference to the gallery link) "I didn't even notice it said something different".

I've linked the part of text in the title now to avoid confusion, nice idea.

6. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I'm sure many others have had the same situation, many of whom might not know that we even have a gallery. It seems a real shame that the gallery is so under-used, we have so many good artists (and not so good ones, i.e. me :razz:), and surely as iSketch is majorly based on drawing and sketching, it should really be a major part of the forum.

If we have drawing competitions in the future, which perhaps we should have more of to attract the artistic players, I think the images would be much better suited in there, as guests (i.e. potential new members) can see them at a glance.

A very nice update indeed, well done Peter :)

7. Peter

Peter Administrator

Mmmm it's nice to see the gallery getting used :D