[Contribution] Smilies/Emoticons

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Peter, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Peter

Peter Administrator

Okay guys so in response to another thread if you think there should be an emoticon on the board that we don't have you can use the blank I have provided below to fill in your own expression!

[​IMG]

Emoticons should be used to convey emotion or set the tone of a sentence (like the the sarcasm ^o) smiley on MSN/Live Messenger.

You're all welcome to submit as many emoticons as you like but when it comes to graphic design I'm a right d**k so don't be offended if I don't upload your emoticon. On a similar note if two emoticons of the same type are submitted and one looks better than the other the better one will be chosen.

Please submit the emoticons in .gif format and bear in mind that the gif format uses a boolean alpha channel, basically this means a pixel in the image is either transparent or it's opaque - no in-between. This means you might have to merge your layers to preserve anti-aliasing and then take out the white background colour (the background behind semi-transparent pixels should be white even though the forum post background colour for this template is blue).

Also try employ anti-aliasing/shading techniques where necessary.

tl;dr: Here's a blank emoticon:

[​IMG]

give it some feeling, if it doesn't fit in with the current emoticon set it won't get added.

On a legal note please realise that by posting your emoticon on here you're releasing it in to the public domain for anyone to distribute/edit. If you intend to keep your work copyrighted don't submit it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    9 people like this.
  2. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Brilliant... you know what I'm going to say next... can someone please come up with a :geek: one :razz:

btw... are msn's smilies copyrighted? Because I love their ^o) one

3. Alessadri

Alessadri Forum Skull

Great idea.

I have a little confusion about the formatting and all.. I just made an attempt on an icon, not sure if it satisfies the specifications. I am posting it here so I can correct it if its wrong.
    [​IMG]

4. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Yeah, we definitely need a :geek: icon, that would be great :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  5. jenni939706

jenni939706 Twirl Princess

^_^ :D :p ..can i have a dancing one? or a -_- one? i dont even know which ones there are.... btw. i fail at images.so thats why im not trying to make one.

6. Peter

Peter Administrator

Yeahhhhh :D that's exactly what I mean :D although could you maybe make the last frame last a couple seconds longer and see how that looks?

7. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

Here's one I made a request for on an MSN forum in 2005 and a kind soul named "Shoop" made for me.

I just attached it cos I cba to upload it anywhere.

Your technical chat is too advanced for me so I dunno if it is ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Hmm.. I think if I get bored, I will get out the old animating/framestuff knowledge I have somewhere.. and make some.. :p hmm.. :) Could be fun... ohh the possibilities.. :eek:

But I hope some good stuff comes out whatever :) I'd like some new emoticons :)

9. Peter

Peter Administrator

Lol NoHints that smiley has your name written all over it. I made a version that matches our current smiley set if that's okay?..

[​IMG] ... [​IMG]... hmm, seems okay.

1 person likes this.
  10. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

There are a couple that I would like to see added, like:

these MSN ones (or similar)

:p - poke tongue out

;) - wink

:-O - surprise/shock

but I'm useless with creating them - no idea - and I tried to find out where they were stored on Windows Live. I found the folder with a heap of files with .dt2 extensions - no idea what that is.......so can't show anyone which ones I like :rolleyes:

But apart from those standard MSN ones above, there are two that I have that I want to show, so if anyone can help me locate them......please?

11. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

I remember on an old version, before Live messenger, emoticons were stored on your computer in Application Data\\\\Emoticons as files with a .dat extension and if you changed the extension manually to .gif the file changed to a working version of the emoticon that you could view and edit.

I don't know if that will work with these .dt2 files, and don't have Live messenger on my laptop to check. Even if it did work, you'd need to go through them all individually until you found the right one :p

There are some programs that will back up all the things you have stored on it, so you could maybe use something like that to get copies. Would be quicker and more sensible than the above.

1 person likes this.
  12. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Heh. I saw you logged on, MrHints - figured you would have the answer ;)

I did try your first suggestion - it's what was suggested on a few places I found when I googled it - but the .dat must be for older versions, I guess, and I couldn't view any of the changed files.

I'll try the backup thing. TY.

Edit - too easy! OK, here are a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  13. tgfcoder

tgfcoder New Member

Haha well I whipped up a geek in a few minutes for storm and deebs

[​IMG]

Comments and criticism welcome

4 people like this.
  14. Omg, that is awesome! Ha!
    They're gonna love that! XD

It's missing some tape.. lol. Just kidding :p

15. tgfcoder

tgfcoder New Member

For Sapphy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And an embarassed one while I was at it.
    [​IMG]

C&C welcome as usual :smile:

3 people like this.
  16. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Awww I can see your influence in those smilies. :D I think it's the eyes.. :p
    Aww they're well cute though :)

17. I love ALL of those! Much better than all of the current ones we have, heh :) I'm really hoping that Peter will agree and add those in! You're good, coder. Nice work! :D

18. tgfcoder

tgfcoder New Member

Ironically, I tried to copy the eyes based on the MSN-style eyes (well .. not clone it, but basically that style) Haha [​IMG]

edit
    You're too kind :hug: <3
    Thanks Nerdy [​IMG]

19. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

I would love to see a more animated :razz: emote

...maybe a tired one too?

20. tgfcoder

tgfcoder New Member

Perhaps too animated haha---
    This is how I look when I'm excited -->[​IMG] This is how I look after 36 hours of work --> [​IMG]