Removal of /ip and /whois

Discussion in 'iSketch' started by ClockWork, May 19, 2010.

1. ClockWork

ClockWork Banned

What does everything think now this has been removed?

2. elfy

elfy Little Spoon

has it? o_O

3. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

There are pro's and con's.

Pro's would obviously be user safety/privacy.

Con's would be for player's who are being stalked or impersonated - there would be no definitive way of knowing for sure. That said, admin's are normally on the ball and if there is a real problem re: stalker/impersonation issues, then my advice would always be to screen-cap and send it to feedback.

But... personally, I think it's a good call.

4. HappyHippo

HappyHippo Active Member

I've been talking about this for a long time actually, I think it's a good improvement. Multiple times I've had people plug in my ip into a tracker and then post my city in the public chat.

It's odd for a site to allow every user to that kind of information, if they were to keep it, I think they should have at least some kind of notification at the login page. I think a lot of players weren't even aware of it.

5. ClockWork

ClockWork Banned

I'm pleased, I emailed feedback yesterday concerned my house can be traced within about 3 miles of accuracy throguh my ip and today it is removed. I imagined they have had a lot of complaints, maybe mine tipped the barrel.

6. elfy

elfy Little Spoon

Some people post their home town on their profile........not sure why they are concerned about being IP-ed if this is the case :S
    I have a couple of morons who like to annoy me under different names..the IP function was useful for finding out if it was the same moron every time, or a selection of different ones...ah well :/

7. Mindraker

Mindraker New Member

/ip was helpful for finding out if there were two people sharing answers. If there were two people with nearly identical ips (i.e., the first two numbers of the IP were the same), it usually confirmed my suspicions that people were sharing answers. That's about the only thing it was useful for.

8. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

In my opinion I think both commands should have remained, but with the 4 octets of IP's hashed using a salted hashing mechanism (where the salt(s) is hard coded and only known to iSketch Admin's at the MOST, if not, only iSketch's owner), so you could still identify someones hashed IP but cant see their real IP.

1 person likes this.
  9. JASR

JASR Active Member

looks like a magic wand has been waved...

10. Mindraker

Mindraker New Member

I don't know if it's really going to change the behavior of the jerks and idiots who do things like draw penises or call people names. I've found people who get kicked from a room come right back on in with the same nickname, or, at best, a different nick, but the same behavior.
    I really don't think the jerks are going to say, "Ah-ha! Now that my ip address is hidden from the general populace, I can craftily work around kicks and bans."

11. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

Yeah, Jobe's wish may have been granted.

It could have done without the comically large encryption afterwards though.

edit: oh, apparently some people still have no /ip...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  12. Mindraker

Mindraker New Member

Shh!!! Don't tell everyone what the secret code is!!! :biggrin:

13. pls24oct

pls24oct New Member

I never thought much of the ip's until some complete unknown came into the room i was playing in, and announced in public, the very small town I lived in. I had assumed the ip address would come out of a nearby city, but apparently mine doesn't. I for one am glad the option is gone for regular players.

14. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

The option hasn't gone, but has been replaced by a less informative version.

Here is what I get using the /ip command currently:

[username] is coming from 123.123.x.x. (mumbojumbocodestuffs)

Most people I've spoken to about it still get "Sorry, I don't know what IP means" though. For me it works on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera so it's probably related to Shockwave version or something (I was asked to update Shockwave a few days ago....).

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  15. Casta_Diva

Casta_Diva New Member

Hmm I haven't tried this today, but when I tried to /ip last night, it just said it didn't know what IP means.

I'm glad that it has stopped being so specific though...even though people can generally deduce my location by the fact that my profile says I'm in Canada and in my specific timezone, it was still disturbing when the other night a complete stranger announced my location.

I'm happy to see the specifics disappear, because they are completely irrelevant to anyone except for an Admin (I wonder if they can still see the whole ip)....although it is nice for other reasons (such as tracking people who change usernames for the sole purpose of irritation) that there are some vague details that still show up.

16. xPERT

xPERT New Member

the crazy code after the ip is actually a MD5 hash of the ip without the x.x

example

MD5(200.102.90.156) = 1169475cc54b3e463bf82496234f468c

/ip XPERT = XPERT is coming from 200.102.x.x. (1169475cc54b3e463bf82496234f468c)

1 person likes this.
  17. Mindraker

Mindraker New Member

Having the two numbers of the IP address is helpful. However, the hash won't really be helpful (for the average user trying to prevent cheaters) -- even if you have an IP address that is one number off, the hash (should) be radically different.

So, it's not like the hash for 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 will be "similar". Now, the hash for two people coming from the /same/ IP will be the same... but... what's the point? The game already doesn't allow entry for two people into the same room in the "official" game rooms.

Example:
    127.0.0.1:
    dd6929d3564eb95ad69dfbee8dde44fa
    127.0.0.2:
    89786da7103bd33cfc279a307afcf3cb

18. Jmac

Jmac New Member

I have found that a lot of cheaters do not necessarily come from the same place, as they just IM each other the answers, proximity is not needed.

And ever since they fixed the bug that was around for a few years you really can't get into the same room with the same IP... now if i want to do that i have to create a user controlled room (grumble grumble grumble.... haha)

anyways back to the ip thing. i think its a good idea to get rid of it. As for stalkers now that the first two numbers are there, you can still get a fairly good idea that its them again as those numbers should be the same, so nothing really was lost. except now i dont know how to find out my ip....

19. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

That's easy, your IP is [​IMG] (don't worry, you only see your OWN IP, not someone else's) :razz:

2 people like this.
  20. Jmac

Jmac New Member

haha, ok now instead of going on isketch to find it, ill just have to remember to come on here and look at Jobe's signature...