Random Facts!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rood, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Novak

Novak Active Member

Otters sleep holding hands.

2. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

Awwww...innit cuuuuuuuuute?

[​IMG]

3. Rood

Rood Active Member

D'aww.

The stars and colours you see when you rub your eyes are called phosphenes - a phosphene is a phenomenon characterised by the experience of seeing light without light actually entering the eye.

4. Rood

Rood Active Member

I just -had- to bump this thread bevause I learnt this weekend that most cats are lactose intolerant.

How did I learn this? I fed my kitty about 5g of butter and I may as well have just given him catnip, he was freaking out big time. His pupils were super dilated, he was tearing about the house and running off at the slightest sound, and he also spent a good hour trying to eat his own tail and leg... pretty funny in a slightly terrifying way.

So yeah, don't give your cats lactose.

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

How weird is that? There goes the whole stereotypical cats drink milk thing.

6. Rood

Rood Active Member

I know! Though if you buy actual pet milk from a supermarket or the like, you'll see that it's lactose free.

7. Peter

Peter Administrator

Oh lawd I need to tell my mother, she likes to 'treat' my sister's cat.

RF: 100 years ago there were 4 billion less of us on this planet

[​IMG]

8. Rood

Rood Active Member

I wonder how many there'll be in another 100 years :eek:

9. Peter

Peter Administrator

I Googled and recent models/data suggest it could be 11bn. Scary stuff.

10. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

We are very over-populated now which will get worse, and that of course presents many problems for the future (food, fuel, infrastructure etc). Just read a book loosely based on this and to be frank, it's pretty scary. :sad:

11. 830

830 Member

Only two Sikh people live in Turkey.

When Michael Foot was put in charge of a nuclear disarmament committee, The Times ran the headline "Foot Heads Arms Body".

There is a French expression for a woman on her period, "Les Anglais sont arriv├ęs", which means "The English have arrived".

There is a type of jellyfish that is essentially immortal.

1 person likes this.
  12. TheQuestion

TheQuestion New Member

RF: The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

13. Peter

Peter Administrator

That is truly random.

RF: The sun physically dips below the horizon before we see 'it' disappear at sunset, what we're actually seeing is a mirage. Relevant video:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  14. Helinos_

Helinos_ New Member

Humans will develop a car that runs on air by 2014...
    I think

15. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

Already done!

[​IMG]

16. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

I haven't seen one and it's a year late!

RF ...

In the film Back to the Future 2 .... there are actually 4 DeLoreans in the same 1955.

1) The one where Original Marty is trying to get back to 1985 (no plutonium)
    2) The one in which Marty and Doc are trying to alter the "bad" timeline - Mr Fusion on the back, and flies around
    3) The one in which Biff goes back and gives his younger self the Almanac
    4) The one that's in a cave since 1885, with broken time / flying circuitry that Doc hid, after being sent back to the old west.

Messes with your head, this time travelling malarky.

17. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Here's one.

A 99 Ice Cream is called a 99 ... because of the chocolate flake that gets pushed in. There are 99 of those in the yellow Flake box in the ice cream van. Fact! :razz: