Random Facts!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rood, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Dagon

Dagon New Member

Rush Hour was originally planned to star Eddie Murphy and Jackie Chan, but the former turned it out down in favor of "Holy Man." A decision Eddie Murphy would later admit was one of his few regrets in his career.

2. Novak

Novak Active Member

The lion used in the MGM logo killed its trainer the day after it was filmed.

3. Rood

Rood Active Member

A lion's roar can be heard from up to 8 km away.

4. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

WOWZA!

The Star-Spangled Banner became the US national anthem in 1931. Prior to that, it was My Country ‘Tis of Thee,” which had the same melody as Britian’s national anthem God Save the Queen, which is based on music written by John Bull in 1619. Bull’s melody has been used more than any song in national anthems.

5. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

Roald Dahl received a letter in 1971 from a real-life Willy Wonka. This Willy Wonka didn’t own a chocolate factory. He lived in Nebraska and worked as a postman.

WillyWongker from Nebraska?

6. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

Mensa members have a lot on their minds, and that doesn't leave a lot of room for dealing with social niceties like whether a hug is appropriate. So when members gather, they place colour coded stickers on their name tags, indicating their willingness to give and receive hugs.

Green, of course, means go ahead and hug. Yellow indicates that a hug is acceptable with permission. But anyone wearing a red dot would really rather you kept your hands to yourself.

7. Arrisdaroldi

Arrisdaroldi Forum Junkie

TF is Green!

1 person likes this.
  8. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

Now that is a fact and a statement. Try and hug me... and you may wish to reconsider your assumption :razz: :twisted:

9. Arrisdaroldi

You dont want a hug from me?

10. Novak

Novak Active Member

The longest word you can make with the letters on the top row of your qwerty-keyboard or typewriter is 'typewriter'.

Ps - wearing a red dot here.

11. Arrisdaroldi

* Arrisdaroldi gives novak a hug takes off the red dot and puts a tag on him that says "Arrisdaroldi's cuddle buddy"

RF: I am human.

12. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

The longest word in the English language that is typed solely with the left hand (if typing properly) is stewardesses

13. Arrisdaroldi

I am a man.

14. Novak

Novak Active Member

The voice of Optimus Prime is also the voice of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

1 person likes this.
  15. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

The word SET has the most definitions of any word in the English language. SET has 464 definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary. Here's how the others stack up:
    RUN - 396 (defs.)
    GO - 368
    TAKE - 343
    STAND - 334
    GET - 289
    TURN - 288
    PUT - 268
    FALL - 264
    STRIKE - 250

16. Rood

Rood Active Member

The hundred billionth crayon made by Crayola was Periwinkle Blue.

17. Novak

Novak Active Member

The chicken is the closest living relative to the T-Rex.

18. Dagon

Dagon New Member

A succinct trifecta this time:

Elvis Presley was rejected from a gospel quartet before he tried his hand at a solo career.

Michael Jordan was cut from his HS basketball team after trying out.

Babe Ruth was known for his impressive pitching, and was signed into the Majors as a starting Pitcher for the BoSox, before they realized this pitcher's at bats actually outshined his pitching.

19. Rood

Rood Active Member

The term "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" is from Ancient Rome. The only rule during wrestling matches was "No eye gouging." Everything else was allowed, but the only way to be disqualified was to poke someone's eye out.

20. Dagon

Dagon New Member

The film Citizen Kane regarded as "the greatest film ever made" for it's innovation of cinematography, technique, and storytelling, almost never saw the light of day. Welles - who was under an unheard of greatly privileged contract with high expectations tied to it - hadn't even thought of it while being occupied trying to get other projects green-lit, when a meeting with screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz brought him the suggestion of basing a film on newspaper magnate "William Randolph Hearst." Which then -after finishing production - brought threats of having it's rights purchased by other studios - in order to bury the print - who feared Hearst releasing previously hushed Hollywood scandals in retaliation.