Racist, And other offensive names?

Discussion in 'iSketch' started by Squares, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Squares

Squares New Member

A simple story, Playing in a room, a player named "faggots" join. I report him, as his name is offensive, I know you all understand why it is. An Admin joins the room to ask about the report, calling this player "Mr.Faggots", as if to endear his name? I'm surprised the reason for the report isn't obvious, but I explain that his username is offensive, a word linked with violence in a world where gays have been and continue to be KILLED for their gender preferences. I end up being kicked from the server by this admin for merely trying to explain why his name is problematic.

So my question to you, if "rude drawings" can get you kicked, why can't blatantly offensive names? I've seen every offensive name, from the n word to the player who i saw earlier today, do you think this is a problem?

Is it okay that admins defend and support the use of offensive words?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom to say whatever you want without consequence,but there is no consequence for this, what does this choice say about our community?

Do you have any thoughts on the matter? Is there not a fundamental problem with this being okay? Or is your "name" somehow magically free from judgement, when both your words and your drawings can get you banned?

2. goose

goose Active Member

From what I understand, admins are not supposed to boot players based solely on their username. However, you as a player *should* be allowed to vote to boot them (just as they are allowed to use offensive language, you are allowed to be offended). So I'm not sure why the admin would've kicked you for that.. It seems unreasonable.

I get that the name they chose is offensive, and obviously people choose these sorts of names to provoke, and i'm certainly not siding with this person here. The admin's responsibility is to ensure the game flows smoothly and the rules are followed. If someone draws a rude picture, then that is disrupting the game (and breaking the rules). If someone is rude towards other players, they are disrupting the game, and again, breaking the rules. However, iSketch admins are not expected to teach everyone how to be polite and well-mannered.

Additionally, if you find you're offended by certain language, there is always the option to block rude words and usernames in your settings.

3. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

This is my understanding, too. Quoting directly from the official rules page:

While this explicitly states that general swearing without direction towards specific people is allowed, in my understanding this rule would also implicitly extend to username choice. As long as a username isn't offending a specific person then it is generally allowed.

However, as I see it, as a player if you feel that their risqué username (I use this term loosely) is directed towards you even if it is not intentionally specific to you then you are entitled to vote based on your feelings. It is your vote based upon your opinion, no-one else's. Admins must administrate the situation if, and only if, there is clear intention of offensive language directed at a single player. Admins can judge if there may be offence caused by a player's username and therefore should allow votes to be cast against that username.
    In my opinion, your use of the vote would implicitly extend to defending others if you feel them to be victimised by a player's username choice, but in all cases you must be clear to any admin who may join the room that this is your reason for voting.

As a side note: Here in the UK a faggot is a food made from minced together meat off-cuts and a fag is a slang term for a cigarette.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  4. Skevin

Skevin Member

In short, you were entitled to vote and the admin who took this incident was incompetent.

Deadlock likes this.
  5. Atreyu

Atreyu Member

You can't forget the Spotted Dick for dessert, db! :razz:

[​IMG]

6. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

How could I forget that one?!

There are quite a few words and phrases that confuse non-natives depending on which country you are reading from. For example, I heard that Australians have Golden Gaytime, which being in the UK (and clearly dirty-minded) could mean something completely different to an ice lolly :wink:

[​IMG]

7. Atreyu

Atreyu Member

That's awsome, db! :lol:

Well, go to Africa and youll get this twice...

DIK-DIK

But really its just a small antelope. :razz:

or you can go to PENISTONE

Which is a market town in Yorkshire, England

unless your a SHI-TTAH!

A type of acacia tree native to Arabia and north-east Africa

But please, oh please, dont be a TIT-TYRANT!

A family of eight species of flycatcher native to the Andes Mountains and the westernmost rainforests of South America.

All this talk is causing a SEXAGESM! :eek:

A sixtieth part of any unit

:smile::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
  8. sir_cumsize

sir_cumsize New Member

Me and my username do not approve of these sexual innuendos.

9. Atreyu

Atreyu Member

sir_cumsize... I think youve had one too many of these...

[​IMG]

10. REM.

REM. Member

Once again I am blocked from the game , two days ago. I entered a room with only 5 players in ,one of the names was something..........F**KFACE. I voted to kick and they were immediately expelled which told that others had voted that particular player. I was then immediately booted with a message that it was the third time I had voted ! and would be blocked.

I am offended by the name and will never understand why people have to give themselves offensive names. I am seriously not a prude but why do people feel the need it is beyond me !.

SirCumsize is a cut above the rest just ...........pun intended , and is a clever play on words.