PMs, signatures, friends and linking

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Peter, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter

Peter Administrator

In effort to combat spam, new members will not be able to do the following until they have lost their newbie dot (5 posts):

• Contact other users through e-mail/PM/visitor message
    • Post links
    • Set a signature
    • Add friends
    Hopefully it'll work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

Congrats Peter...good measures to test out, and I'm with you...I hope it helps/works!

3. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Awesome job, let's see if that helps :) And welcome back by the way :)

4. Peter

Peter Administrator

Yeah, at first I was surprised we were getting so many but then when I saw how many were getting rejected at registration, not so much:

[​IMG]

Thanks :) You've racked up quite a post count! I feel bad you've surpassed the "Epic Member" title by about 1500 posts. Feel feel to PM me if you want a custom rank.

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

So all of the 4,000+ people are all the spammers? Wow, far more than I thought. If that's the case it seems to be working well :)
    Although I suppose some are the same person; just several bots (and probably redundant e-mail addresses) created to try and get in, I guess.

Haha yeah, you could say I was slightly addicted to the forum, still am really :razz: I shall be expecting you at the next party/tournament/gathering :fangs:

Well now you mention it, if I could choose one "Super Moderator" would be a great idea :wink:
    Haha, I joke, I'm not sure what to have. I'm quite happy with the epicness still though, but if I think of one, I'll hold you to that :biggrin:
    Honestly though, it's good to have you back :)

6. Peter

Peter Administrator

Each row represents a failed registration attempt and each page has 30 rows so the 4000+ is the number of pages, so the number of failed attempts is ~120,000.

I guess the spam comes from infected computers on a botnet.

I'll keep an eye out :razz:

Haha, I swear you've been offered a couple of times in the past?

Maybe you could have a different colour and "Events Manager" or something if that sounds attractive to you. I'll let you think about it anyway :p

Haha, thanks :) Nice to see you're still here and organising meets! I'm going to lock this now as we've got a bit off-topic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.