[Sport] Official Formula 1 Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nexus, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, wasn't that brilliant to watch? Hamilton a well-deserved winner and his best drive of the season without a doubt. Incredible performance. Heidfeld made no mistakes either and his overtaking moves were quality. And to have Rubens back on the podium was extremely heartwarming. Very Happy

Has to be said, I was disappointed with Kovalainen who never really got into the race. He didn't seem to have the pace and made two mistakes to go with his overly cautious overtaking. One time it cost him a place, the next could so nearly have done so too. Shame Button disappeared too, looks like he might have come fourth had he not gone off. Kubica also, it looked like he made the same mistake as Sutil. Strange that two of the first three retirements were Vettel and Sutil, wet weather masters! Gutted that he and Coulthard went off on lap one. Sad

Still, the race was a cracker. I'm still surprised that nobody apart from Honda went for the extreme wets. Unbelieveable almost since a podium turned out to be up for grabs. Still, Brawn obviously has what it takes but I was telling them thru the TV to change. Being 14 seconds a lap quicker would give you two pitstops worth of time in the bag in four laps so it was really obviously the choice.

Nice to see Nakajima in the points again, even if he lost 7th. He keeps doing that all year and if he had not spun or Rosberg had not lost his front-wing, Williams could've looked really good. He was definately not the rookie of the day as Piquet was doing so well! Shame he went off but I think despite that, he should have his head held up high as he overtook Alonso... again. His season should be turning around now.

And my goodness, a three-way tie for the lead of the championship!

Now that I've done my part, I would ALL you F1 Fans to join in. F1 thoughts, opinions, views, gossip aired here.. :razz:

Current Race Records - 2008

Melbourne, Australia
    Sepang, Malaysia
    Bahrain
    Catalunya, Spain
    Turkey
    Monte Carlo, Monaco
    Montreal, Canada
    Magny-Cours, France
    Silverstone, UK
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Hungaroring, Hungary
    Valencia (European GP)
    Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
    Monza, Italy
    Singapore
    Fuji, Japan
    China
    Interlagos, Brazil

Current Race Team - 2008

Ferrari
    BMW Sauber
    McLaren-Mercedes
    Toyota
    Red Bull-Renault
    Williams-Toyota
    Renault
    Honda
    STR-Ferrari
    Force India-Ferrari
    Super Aguri-Honda

2. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

I follow F1 loosely. I think that the sport got interesting again after the monotony of schumacher winning all the time. Don't get me wrong, he's a national hero and all that, and certainly the italians weren't unhappy about him winning with the ferrari, but it's nice to see competition again.

I am currently rooting for Kubica. He's a good driver, and the BMW is a behaving this season. Gotta love the underdogs.

Still, it's obvious it's between massa, hamilton and raikonen. ♥♥♥♥♥es.

3. Capt_Sparrow

Capt_Sparrow Active Member

I'm an F1 fan too, but of the Schumacher variety :razz: and I haven't been following the sport as avidly since he retired.

I suppose I'm still a Ferrari fan so I cheer on Massa and Kimi but I have to admit I've been very impressed by Hamilton since his debut last year and if he were in a Ferrari this year, he would win the championship quite easily. But as he isn't, it's gonna be a three-horse race and looks like it will be a very close one! :p

4. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

What of the espionage row going on..?

5. Nexus

Nexus New Member

What of the Max Moseley scandal too?

Its sickening to hear about some one of his reputation and power doing such gross things, I think F1 has been hugely damaged by it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  6. Capt_Sparrow

Yes the lurid accounts have come out but the real power in F1 is with Bernie and because of the close relationship between the two, Max Mosley is still in his position, in my opinion.

7. agentQ

agentQ Guest

Hamilton winning the German grand prix has opened the title race.I want McLaren to win it this season-they were unfairly robbed of points last season.

8. Capt_Sparrow

Although I'm a Ferrari supporter, I must admit Hamilton had a fantastic race yesterday and Massa and Raikkonen just did not seem able to put up much of a challenge. Given the next race (in Hungary) is traditionally a track where McLaren do well, Hamilton is firmly in the driving seat for the championship, barring external incidents.

9. KittyKatt

KittyKatt New Member

And I thought you were a good person!!!
    * KittyKatt has a slight.... hatred (to put it kindly) for ferrari, and (m.) schumacher is her swarn enemy

Annoyingly enough, I work on sundays, so always always miss the races (except when the timezones are so different they get played here in the evening). I normally watch it again on itv.com or catch the highlights in the evening.

I don't tend to support a specific team, but I follow a particular driver, whom I will support through and through... For example when Damon Hill was driving for Jordan I was a Jordan supporter, even though they were never exactly a fantastic team. I always tend to support british drivers, so when Jenson Button first started I supported him, but he has been really unlucky of late. So it goes without saying I'm a Mclaren supporter... <3 lewis hamilton <3

I haven't seen yesterday's race yet and I am really looking forward to watching it online later, but obviously I have heard good things about it. Hamilton really does deserve the drivers title this year, just as I believe he did last year. For a newbie to the sport, he is fantastic! Admittedly he is lucky that he enters the sport starting right away in a top-running team, with a good car; yes yes I've heard all the anti-hamilton rubbish. But you've got to admit he is one of the most interesting drivers we've had for a while.

10. Capt_Sparrow

:eek: How can you hate the Tifosi???

I don't mind Lewis Hamilton but I can't stand his team (McLaren) because Ron Dennis is annoying. He should consider following Kimi to the reds :razz: (although I don't think it will ever happen).

It's true, he is a very talented driver, but the only driver who deserves to win is the one with the most points at the end of the season, newbie or not. Hamilton looked almost certain to win last year with two races to go, but poor judgement on his part and a mechanical failure on his car in those two races lost him the title. The mechanical failure wasn't his fault but his car is what won him his races (and his numerous podium positions) so you have to take the good with the bad.

I'm a Jenson Button supporter too but he never seems to show the consistency required of a championship-challenging driver. But hopefully with Ross Brawn (*cough* Ferrari *cough*) in charge at Honda, he will have a decent car and race strategy to improve on his previous performances through the years (he has only won 1 race in his 8 1/2 year career).

11. KittyKatt

KittyKatt New Member

You, Mr Sparrowhead, make me angry and happy at the same time. I dislike this.

I agree completely on the Jenson Button front. He's a good driver but not consistent. And he's had some unlucky times at Honda. When there were the rumours of him transferring to Williams I was most pleased. I like the Williams team, it's also the team my dad always supports (although my dad loves lewis almost as much as i do, just in a different way :p). In the future I would like to see his performance improve, be it down to Ross Brawn or not. I have nothing against him, nice man... Pity he worked at Ferrari....

Ron Dennis isn't a nice man, I agree... But as it's the team the 3rd love of my life drives for, of course I have to be somewhat supportive of it :) And btw... Over my dead body will Hamilton ever drive for ferrari. It will never happen. Ever.

12. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Hamilton? In a Faaawawii? BAHAHAHAHA....

More chances of seeing El_Nino in a Milf movie then seeing that ever happen.

13. KittyKatt

KittyKatt New Member

it'll never happen. I can't see hamilton at any team other than mclaren for a very long time. they've put a lot of money into him.

14. agentQ

agentQ Guest

any other team??...thats a bold statement.You don't understand the power of money miss.There are other teams which can potentially buy Hamilton.Someone as great as schumacher moved from Benetton to Ferrari after winning just two championships with them.If Hamilton fails to win with McLaren this season.It won't be long before he leaves.The reasons could be anything -titles or money.

15. Nexus

Nexus New Member

A Brit driving in Fawwwawii F1 Team?! David, thats like Fabregas joining Man Utd from Arsenal......FAT Chance mate.

Brits tend to stay with British teams, look at the England team. How many of them play for a non-english team?

16. El_Nino

El_Nino New Member

Lewis Hamilton has a strong bond with Ron Dennis. Hamilton has been part of the Mclaren set up for many years and under the guidance of Ron Dennis and no doubt with many other people at McLaren.

However, he still has a few years in him and he may or may not wish to join another team in the future but I don't think I'll be wrong when I say it is most drivers' ambition to drive for Ferrari.

I don't see Hamilton moving within the next 5 years but anything is possible within F1, so Zach, when your hair is receeding, maybe you will see Hamilton in the red car of Ferrari :biggrin:

17. Nexus

Nexus New Member

That will only happen if your one-night stand video with Max Moseley is released. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  18. agentQ

agentQ Guest

Ron Dennis can be the reason why Hamilton will move.Ron Dennis is 61 and has recently been divorced.He was all set to leave last season ,but had to postpone it because of the " SPYGATE " scandal that hit McLaren.If McLaren do win,the drivers championship, this season,it might be very tempting for him to quit McLaren F1.Ron Dennis is a legend in the F1 arena.The way he has built this formidable F1 team is commendable.He has also been an inspiration to most employees and staff on the McLaren F1 team. Once Ron Dennis leaves Lewis Hamilton will not have someone to guide him the same way.A big reason for Lewis to leave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  19. KittyKatt

KittyKatt New Member

Perhaps. I can see your point AgentQ. But even if Ron Dennis left at the end of this year, I can't see Hamilton leaving until at least the end of the 2012 season... That's when his contract runs out. You're saying if he doesn't win the title this season he's likely to leave soon... I don't think so. Currently I don't think there is any driver better for Hamilton's position at Mclaren. I don't see them dumping him just because in his first 2 years in F1 he didn't successfully grab the drivers or constructors title. Last year was unfortunate for mclaren losing points losing them the constructors title, and unlucky for lewis missing out on the drivers title... This year, although ferrari (as always) are putting in good competition, I am confident in both Lewis and Mclaren.

As for driving for ferrari... I agree with Nexus. Brits tend to stick with British teams.
    David Coulthard... Williams, Mclaren, Red Bull
    Damon Hill... Brabham, Williams, Arrows, Jordan
    Nigel Mansell isn't such a good example, as he did do what... 2 years? at Ferrari... But the rest of the time was all british teams surely? Lotus and williams.

I sense a pattern :)

20. Capt_Sparrow

While it is true that British drivers do tend to stick to British teams (as there are/have been so many of them), the last British driver to seriously challenge for the Drivers' Championship (before Lewis) was Eddie Irvine in a Ferrari (1999)! Hamilton does appear very settled at McLaren but if he suffers a couple more near-misses, he may seek a new team. However, if that does happen, he probably won't move to Ferrari for two reasons:

1) I can't see him moving to a direct rival team unless he falls out with the McLaren staff in a big way.

2) Fernando Alonso's talent surely deserves a better team than Renault and as McLaren is out of the question, I can see him joining Ferrari in the near future.

McLaren have tended to lose it reliability-wise in the past and this has cost them championships and this is the most likely problem which could see Lewis leave the team, if he ever does in the near future.

C'mon Jas, do it for the team! :twisted: