Internet Dating - Internet Weddings

Discussion in 'Humour and Debate' started by jenni939706, Jan 3, 2010.

1. jenni939706

jenni939706 Twirl Princess

Would you rather date:
    A) db1986
    B) Capt_Sparrow
    C) Bellicimo

ok. seriously. i asked them if i should post that as an intro, they said "sure, why not" and its not my fault they're all guys. im a girl. and i like guys. and those were the only talking guys in the isk room when i began talking bout this.

and btw, dont answer that question, none of the guys need to know XD

db came up with this idea, not me.

Sooooo, I (in my boredom) orchestrated a wedding between sparrow and belli (yayyy "I now pronounce you husband and ....." you determine which was the "....") which was a beautiful wedding (on isketch)

now. db and I were wondering what everyone thought about actual online dating and online weddings (and I dont mean the kind of weddings that I've joked around about....like sparrow's and belli's)

----
    my opinion is: i have no idea. while the internet is a great place to get to know someone's personality before knowing what they look like, hence eliminating the whole "i only like you for your looks" thing...some people lie, you never know if who they say they are is who they are (sadtimes). so i dunno. I like to think i can judge someone well enough to know if they're lying, but I dont know if I am

-Jen :)

2. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I think Internet dating is fine as long as you are careful. I have never used any dating websites, but I suppose it's like any Internet profile that you own, like MSN, Facebook, MySpace, iSketchForum, anywhere that personal information can be stored. I believe that some people do find true love on the Internet and it is a good way of meeting people.

As for Internet weddings, I'm not too sure I agree with them. You would have to put so much trust into a person for it to go ahead. I would rather meet the person irl before making a decision. Even then I imagine it would be quite complicated. You'd need a person who can conduct the wedding, witnesses, family, it would be easier to do it irl.

3. Medea.

Medea. Active Member

Hahahah hilarious thread jen. I think internet dating is bs to be totally honest. I get that you can get close to people on here and make really great mates but I dunno how you can get involved with someone romantically without meeting them irl. To me it's just like what's the point of getting involved to that level knowing that it has no future really until you meet.. so why not cut the crap and meet up front. Well up front being once it's gotten to the point that you are good friends and starting to develop those other more romantic feelings. Maybe it's just me but I need to know that I can really get along with someone in person, feel comfortable with them and that I am also attracted to them irl before I can commit to saying.. let's "go out" or get married. That's just insane to me. Also as Jen said, people can lie. Well people can lie irl too but the internet makes it a whole lot easier and there is just way too much trust involved to really put yourself out there like that without meeting. So yeah, even though I'm sure plenty of people have met the loves of their lives on here and it can be great - I just don't view the internet as a dating pool. Leave it to the pubs and clubs if you want to hook up :p

4. Fox

Fox Pumpkin

Well people online ARE real people and if you meet someone that you like then that's fair enough. I'd say that you should meet people properly, face to face, before getting overly involved, though. You can only tell so much about a person and it's easier to conceal bad sides of yourself in typing than it is in physical meetings. Similarly, many good sides of a person's character will only be apparent in meeting face to face.

5. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Paha. I dunno. I think if a relationship is to occur only online then it is hard, and can get very messy as your only contact point is online and so yeah, can be attached to laptop constantly. I think you can become attracted to people online though, and if you meet up then it's possible for it all to become sucessful etc. :)

But online and real life are very different like fox said... You can never tell exactly what a person is like by just meeting them online, and so it'll always be different in real life, someways for the better and someways for the worse. But it's possible to meet people online/have relationships with online people. :)

ALTHOUGH I read somewhere that this guy was going out with this girl online, who was actually a guy and like. yeah it got messy. VERY messy. cuz he told him and they were like inseperable then like, he was like, I don't wanna talk to you again blah blah blah. So the internet can also have lots of liars. :/ I suppose it'd depend where you meet people really which has a big effect on it I THINK...

But I think very successful relationships can come from meeting online. :)

6. Lisa479

Lisa479 New Member

Internet dating, yes. I think it's possible to develop feelings for someone you've met online, but there is no real way to tell if those feelings are completely real until you meet that person in real life. I think it often leads to a kind of obsession though, with being online/texting him or her/almost living in a fantasy world. After someone decides they "like" someone online, I think imagination certainly takes over. The human mind can't help but fill in the gaps about what you DON'T know about that person, even though you may feel like you know them completely. But overall, I say if you meet someone online and think you "like" them, meet him or her in person and see where it leads!

On the other hand...

Internet marriage? No way! Imagining marrying someone without every meeting in real life? LOL. How can you feel ready for marriage without actually meeting the person? Huge, gigantic, colossal leap, I'd say. And one that will probably not end well.

7. El_Nino

El_Nino New Member

Internet marriage is great. If the wife nags you, you can shut them down with the flick of a button
    But I lost my profile on this service though :(

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  8. Casta_Diva

Casta_Diva New Member

LOL Jas....that's terrible!

I have to say that experience has led me to the conclusion that internet dating is a bad idea (all in my opinion, of course). I think that unless it is a long distance relationship maintained online, being that the couple has met and spent enough time together that they know things are fine, it won't work.

A little bit of silly infatuation is fine, but as soon as it progresses to "I love yous" and promises and things like that, it can get dangerous. It does work for some people, and I've been told of couples who met online and then met irl and married...but I am unsure.

First time I was in an internet relationship, it went on way too long and I was way too young and trusting. After two years (of no phone conversations or webcams or meetings), I discovered that it was a complete web of lies....go figure! My naivety really harmed me in the end. Second time, it was mainly a good friendship that got too complicated and I started jumping at anything remotely suspicious, thus not trusting at all. I haven't tried anything of the sort since then, although I do have an eHarmony account...not so sure of how that's working out though. I'm so freaking skittish that anything unexpected kind of sends me running for the hills :(

Anyway, back on topic....I think the internet dating really boils down to trust. Are you trusting too much, or not enough? How can you know?

My question about an internet marriage is........how would it be consummated? :eek:

9. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Eh. I suppose it is an issue of trust, but it's the same with like... in real life.

I've had quite a few internet relationships and some of them have turned out well and some just really badly, but mostly it ends up like casta said, being good friends that are just a bit complicated.
    -shrugs-
    Some can go well, some can go bad, but it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not. But like I said, in my opinion it's pretty similar to real life in someways, because you can't really know people until you've spent a lot of time with them.

10. JASR

JASR Active Member

Refridgerated package posted and a kitchen utensil.

11. Casta_Diva

Casta_Diva New Member

That's probably very true. Funny though, because my main "relationship" experience comes from online dating -- two of those compared to one of the real life thing. Sad. Pah. Maybe I just have trust issues all around....but that's a whole other matter!

JASR, that's quite a literal explanation to my rhetorical question! :twisted:

12. Capt_Sparrow

Capt_Sparrow Active Member

Firstly, let me bring you the sad news that Belli and I have divorced... we were blissfully married for all of 5 minutes, so, clearly, online weddings don't work :p.

But seriously, you can't marry someone online without meeting them in the same sense that you can marry someone face-to-face - such an online marriage would be completely different to a face-to-face one.

On the topic of online dating, I'd rather call it online meeting because it is, essentially, another way of "meeting" people. If you like them and get on, you'd probably meet them in real life, get to know them more and take it from there. There are obviously issues of trust in that they may completely fabricate a profile of themselves online, but if you want to take it further, you'd meet them at some point and clear these up (e.g. finding out they're not really female xD). But also, as Sorsie suggested, people you meet in real life can also hide the truth, not physical truths like their sex or age, but personality-wise. In fact, you may know someone's personality better by talking to them initially online than meeting them for the first time in a bar or a club, because in the latter case, all you may know is what they look like and what their favourite drink is :p. So what I'm trying to say is that the internet is just another way of meeting people (but without physically meeting them xD).

It would be interesting to know the proportion of relationships spawned from the internet that were successful and comparing this to successful relationships having met the person from other, more traditional means to see whether internet dating is a success or not.

13. Katie.Lemon

Katie.Lemon Active Member

Wut? is is actually possible to get married online?

14. jenni939706

jenni939706 Twirl Princess

no idea. unless u want an isk wedding, then i can help ;) :D -- belli and sparrow did not divorce. he lies

although i suppose anything is possible online... which is getting to be a creepy concept

15. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Maybe you should have added the question as a poll, I'd be intrigued to see who would win :p

16. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Anyone but sparrow.

I'll be willing to take bets with people. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Hmm idk... Sparrows and Belliboy are pretty hawt ;)