Google Chrome Update

Discussion in 'Guides' started by db1986, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Hi everyone :)

Those of us who use Google Chrome to play iSketch may have change browsers in the near future due to a plugin being deprecated later this year. Chrome, like many other web browsers, uses NPAPI (Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface) to allow Shockwave to be run on Chrome, which can then be installed to play iSketch.

According to those behind Google Chrome, this NPAPI plugin will be automatically blocked for general use from April, and then cease to be updated altogether from September 2015, apparently due to security reasons. If you wish to read the full article, you can find it here.

From April to September, a temporary override is available to prevent this automatic NPAPI block, simply follow these instructions:

1. Type chrome://flags/#enable-npapi into the address bar.
    2. Locate the "Enable NPAPI" header and click "Enable".
    3. Restart your browser to make the changes come into effect.
    You should then be able to reload iSketch without the usual "please install Shockwave" screen.

I hope this helps :)

Here is a Wikipedia list of browsers that still support NPAPI.

Update: As it currently stands after September 2015, iSketch will not work for any players using Google Chrome. Instead use one of the listed browsers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    4 people like this.
  2. GlitteryCake

GlitteryCake Active Member

Thank you very much, db!

3. JASR

JASR Active Member

As DB points out, this is only temporary, come September you'll need to use another Browser that still supports NPAPI. - unless Adobe decide to be nice... HA!

Note: Java, Silverlight et al, will also not work in Chrome come September.

4. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

As an addendum to the above, here you will find a Wikipedia list of browsers that still support NPAPI.

Note that some of the more popular browsers such as IE, Firefox and Opera, as well as the aforementioned Chrome are all phasing out NPAPI support in the near future, which really limits our choices. I think I'm going to try Safari first, but that's just me.

Also, I must thank players LaLizz and MonstersInc; the information in my original post is not actually mine, they are the ones who pointed it out to me. I have merely condensed it into forum-friendly plain English and shared it here, so I shouldn't really take all the credit for it :)

5. Cats

Cats New Member

Thanks! I love google chrome

6. sir_cumsize

sir_cumsize New Member

Or you know, Rob can update the site so it isnt using technology from 2007.

7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That seems to be the only way forward, as I reckon all browsers will eventually stop support.

8. iSketchSwede

iSketchSwede New Member

iSketch is now completely dead on Chrome. It's a shame, really.

9. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That's correct, just to update the thread, iSketch will not work on Google Chrome for any players from this date forward. Please use one of the alternative browsers listed in the original post of this thread.

I have updated the original post accordingly :)

10. Dank_Meme

Dank_Meme New Member

i just installed safari, and installed shockwave for safari, but when i go to isketch.net, all i get is a blank blue screen.
    edit: i had to install flash too. derp.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  11. iSketchSwede

iSketchSwede New Member

I'm guessing there are no plans then to rewrite iSketch so that it works with Chrome? NPAPI is going away eventually and so will iSketch.

12. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I'd hope so, but I have no idea. That question is one best answered by Feedback :)

13. Bigxavy

Bigxavy New Member

I had to use IE again to play isketch! that was craaaaaaaaazy!! jajaja

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.