[Idea] Forum Idea?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Arrisdaroldi, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrisdaroldi

Arrisdaroldi Forum Junkie

Is it possible to have a chat on the forum, like a tab that is possibly moderated where users can talk if online or leave messages for others to see?

Ideas? Thoughts?

2. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

We used to have this feature on another forum I belonged to. When it worked, it was great! (often it didn't work because of the time zones and rarely being two or more people on at the same time). But I like the idea.

3. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

It's a very nice idea, but personally I can't see it working on our forum for the same reasons as SoulAngel has said above.

It has also been discussed here previously, although that was last year :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Arrisdaroldi

Ahh, okay... very true.

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Teehee, fair enough you haven't seen the previous thread before, because you wouldn't remember the conversation being fairly new :wink:

If the forum did become more popular, I can see this working very well. Maybe if the person isn't online it would give you the PM option instead :)

6. Arrisdaroldi

interesting though, facebook does that as well.

7. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

In 2006, during the great october/november isketch outage, we had a forum linked to a forum chatroom, provided by an independent chat provider. I don't know if VB has a chat feature that could be installed, i imagine it does, but it'd be up to Peter to install it.

Having said that, the 2006 chat wasn't very successful because, well, isketch has chat, and to leave messages, well, the forum has that.

8. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

The other problem with such a chat feature would be moderation, although I personally could provide a chat room on a server and a flash based means of connecting to said chat.

Without the support of sufficient members to watch over the chat room covering a 24 hour 7 day a week period it just wouldn't be a good idea. Not to mention I cannot see many people volunteering to moderate over such a period if the room was not sufficiently active enough.

But I will say as db1986 and 2.0 have stated this has been suggested and tried before.

9. Arrisdaroldi

Okays, thanks for summing it up. I did not know it was mentioned elsewhere. If you would like, you may close this thread now that Its been discussed and previously covered.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.