DOF Round 4 - Maths

Discussion in 'Games and Competitions' started by Saffron, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Thanks to Deebs for running the end of the Science round and the Music round in my absence. I offered to run Maths so he could enter, so here goes.........

Round 4 - Maths

There are 7 questions in this round.
    All answers in by: 30 September 2009, except for Question 3 (sorry, you have to wait for more details on that one………..). And, as for previous rounds, some questions will have bonus points if you get them in prior to the dates stated in the instructions for those questions.

DOF Maths - Question 1

I have represented a specific number of mathematical terms in the following image. For this question, you need to find all of those terms.

For your answer, I need:
    1. The total number of terms you have found
    2. A numbered list of those terms
    3. A picture showing where the relevant terms are (ie Term 1 should have a number 1 placed somewhere on it, Term 2 number 2 and so on)

[​IMG]

Scoring = 1 point for each term found and correctly labelled. (Maximum = ??) ;)
    Note: You will only receive a point for each of the terms I deliberately placed in the image. However, there will be an Honorable Mention in the Awards thread for the person who identifies the most terms in the image, regardless of whether they are the intentional ones.

Send me the answer before 30 September 2009. Alternatively, you will score 1 bonus point (not automatically allocated to Maths, but can be used at any remaining time in the competition) if you submit your final answer to this questions by Friday 21 August (midnight your time).

Good Luck :biggrin:

Answer: There were 20 terms I was looking for:
    1. ALGEBRA (Algae+bra)
    2. BRACKETS (around the pics of algae and bra to put them together)
    3. HEXAGON(bee hive)
    4. FACTORIAL(!)
    5. RHOMBUS(stone pillar), (i also accepted PARALLELOGRAM)
    6. FEET
    7. COSINE(co-sign)
    8. PI (pie)
    9. SUM/SIGMA (bottom right hand corner of pie)
    10. GOOGOL (google)
    11. GRAPH
    12. ANGLE (angel)
    13. MEAN(“Mean girls” movie with Nicole Kidman)
    14. SQUARE ROOT(up the side and across the top of the mean pic)
    15. TRAPEZIUM (trapeze artist with IUM on costume)
    16. PRISM (album cover)
    17. DEGREE
    18. KITE
    19. VENN DIAGRAM
    20. TANGENT (the blue character at the end )

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOF Maths - Question 2 Complete the following sequences and give the rule for Solving for n.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Example Answer:
    [​IMG]

I will accept any rule that works, not just the ones I have made.

2(a) [​IMG]
    2(b) [​IMG]
    2(c) [​IMG]
    2(d) [​IMG]
    2(e) [​IMG]
    2(f) [​IMG]
    2(g) [​IMG]
    2(h) [​IMG]

Scoring = Up to 5 points for each sequence – one for each blank spot. (Maximum = 40)
    Send me the answer before 30 September 2009.
    You will score 1 bonus point (not automatically allocated to Maths, but can be used at any remaining time in the competition) if you submit your final answer to this question by 27 August 2009

Answer:
    [​IMG]

I also allowed for (h) this answer: 6n^2-11n-2 (where ^2 means squared) :eek:

DOF Maths - Question 3 – Find the mystery codes in this forum version of Mastermind. I have 3 codes that you need to guess.

Rules:
    • Code 1 has a length of 4 and has 4 colours in it chosen from the following: red, blue, yellow and green
    • Code 2 has a length of 5 and has 5 colours in it chosen from the following: red, blue, yellow, green and orange
    • Code 3 has a length of 6 and has 6 colours in it chosen from the following: red, blue, yellow, green, orange and purple
    • In all three codes, a colour can appear in more than one position.
    • All colours you can choose from do not necessarily appear in the code (ie just because you can choose from 4 colours for Code 1 does not mean all four different colours are in the code)
    • Each position in the code has a colour (ie there are no blank positions)
      (Example: Code 3 may be YELLOW, YELLOW, GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE, PURPLE)

How to play:
    You need to PM me your guess for each code – ie each PM should have the guesses to all three codes in it. Your PM should look similar to this:

Code 1: red, blue, yellow, green
    Code 2: red, blue, yellow, green, orange
    Code 3: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple

I will send you a reply that will look something like this:
    Code 1: Y N
    Code 2: Y Y N
    Code 3 : Y Y Y N N
    Where
    • Y means you have a correct colour in the correct place
    • N means you have a correct colour but it is not in the correct place.
    Just like in real Mastermind, I will not indicate which of the colours/positions you have correct – you will need to work that out yourself.

You then send me your next guess and we repeat the process until you have guessed the code, or until you have had 15 guesses, whichever is sooner.

Scoring =
    You get 20 points for entering your first guess at the codes.
    In addition:
    For Code 1 (4 colours) – you receive an inverse number of points out of 16 as to the number of guesses you take to correctly guess the code. For example if you take 6 guesses, you get 11 points.
    For code 2 (5 colours) – you receive an inverse number of points out of 16 to the number of guesses you take to correctly guess the code, multiplied by 2. ie if you take 6 guesses, you get 22 points.
    For code 3 (6 colours) – you receive an inverse number of points out of 16 to the number of guesses you take to correctly guess the code, multiplied by 4 ie 6 guesses = 44 points.
    For any code you do not guess within 15 guesses, you will receive 1 point.

There will be a special mention in the Awards thread for the person(s) who solve each code in the least amount of guesses.

Answer:
    Code 1: Yellow, Blue, Red, Red - Fox guessed this quickest with 3 tries.
    Code 2: Green, Orange, Blue, Orange, Red - db1986, Sorsie and Bellicimo guessed this quickest in 5 tries.
    Code 3: Blue, Orange, Purple, Purple, Yellow, Green - db1986 and Fox guessed this quickest with 6 tries.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    4 people like this.
  2. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

DOF Maths - Question 4

A variation on the Einstein Fish Puzzle:

There are five iSketchers - Saffron, Celestial, Subterfuge, Seratoga and Sybarite. Each one has a favourite room that they play in and a preferred language for that room. They each have a different time they play, a different high score and a different favourite pink flirt emote.

• Sybarite is next to the person who plays in the morning.
    • Phrases is the preferred room of the person whose high score is 113.
    • The person beside Celestial plays during working hours.
    • The person who prefers German rooms plays on the weekends
    • Subterfuge likes to play in Tandem
    • The person who “winks knowingly” is in the middle and has a high score of 112
    • The first person likes to “hike the kilt”
    • Saffron is the person on the far right
    • The person who plays in the afternoon likes to “snog the snoggalicious”
    • The person whose high score is 112 is next to the person whose high score is 111
    • Celestial likes to give a “dozen red roses”
    • The person prefers Turkish speaking rooms is next to the person whose high score is 115
    • The second person from the right prefers the Science room and is next to the person whose high score is 113
    • The first person on the left likes to play in Spanish speaking rooms
    • The person who prefers 5 strokes is next to the person who likes to play in Tandem
    • The second from the left has a high score of 115
    • Subterfuge is to the immediate right of the person who likes to “snog the snoggalicious”
    • The person who likes to “dim the lights” plays during working hours
    • The person who prefers Tandem plays at night time
    • The person who likes French speaking rooms doesn't have a high score of 113
    • The person who likes 2WBP has a high score of 110

Assuming that the fifth preferred language is English - who prefers to play in English speaking rooms?

Scoring = (Maximum = 71 points)

Partial points can be allocated if you provide a table showing your working:
    For each answer provided up to 8 correct answers = 1 point.
    For each answer provided from 9 to 15 correct answers = 2 points
    For each answer provided from 16 to 23 correct answers = 3 points
    For each answer provided from 24 to 29 correct answers = 4 points

You will score 1 bonus point (not automatically allocated to Maths, but can be used at any remaining time in the competition) if you submit your final answer to this questions by 12 September 2009.

Answer:

Me. Click here to see a full table.
    I won't explain the whole thing because everyone who answered got full points.

DOF Maths – Question 5

If I asked you to add together all the numbers in this entire question, what might you give me as your answer?
    a. How often did the quick brown fox jump over the lazy dog?

b. How much wood would a woodchucker chuck if a woodchucker could chuck wood?

c. How long is a piece of string?

d. How many times have you read this question and thought: “This SUX!”?

(Note: The 'entire question' is everything above in bold between, and not including, the words "DOF Maths - Question 5" and the beginning of this bracketed note.)

Scoring = 8 points for the correct answer. Note the scoring system for this should give you an indication of how much detail I need in your answer.

You will score 1 bonus point (not automatically allocated to Maths, but can be used at any remaining time in the competition) if you submit your final answer to this questions by 17 September 2009

Answer:
    Using the Roman Numerals in the entire question – there are:
    18 I’s each worth 1 (18)
    3 V’s each worth 5 (15)
    2 X’s each worth 10 (20)
    6 L’s each worth 50 (300)
    13 C’s each worth 100 (1300)
    15 D’s each worth 500 (7500)
    7 M’s each worth 1000 (7000)
    Total = 16153

I also accepted the answer 16151 where, for example, the iv in GIVE was calculated as 4 rather than 1 and 5, because the numerals were grouped together in a word.

I thought this one would be easy, but I did get some very interesting responses - I do have to share this one - feel free to own up to it if you want, otherwise I won't tell :biggrin: (note this is not verbatim)

Total = 15. The dog jumped once (1) the woodchucker is too confused to chuck any wood (+0) I found a piece of string in my drawer which was 10cm (+10) and I didn't think "This SUX" at all (+0) And there's four bits to this question (+4).

DOF Maths – Question 6

1. Four teenagers multiplied their ages together and obtained the number 64260. What are their ages? Show your working (2 points)

Answer: 14, 15, 17 and 18. I used prime factorisation to get this, but no-one else did. It was very interesting to see the ways that people thought about this question!

2. A four digit number satisfies the following conditions:
    a. The sum of the digits is 6
    b. The number is less than 1200
    c. None of the four digits are equal
    d. The tens digit is an odd number
    What is the four digit number? (1 point)

Answer: 1032

3. A four digit number has the following properties:
    a. The product of the thousands and units digits is 24
    b. The product of the hundreds and tens units is 18
    c. When 5625 is added to the original number, its digits are reversed.
    What is the four digit number? (1 point)

Answer: 3298

4. Peter is older than Paul, but younger than Sarah. Paul is older than Louise and Mark. Mark is younger than both Carl and Louise. Sarah is older than both Paul and Mark, but younger than Carl. Who is the oldest? (1 point)

Answer: Carl

5. Find this famous historical date according to the following clues:
    [​IMG]

Number at A: The two digit number that, when you divide it by two and add one, then square the result, gives a number that when you subtract one and divide it by ten, gives you twelve Answer: 20
    Number at B: The month that comes three months after the month that comes seven months before the month that is a month before the month that comes nine months after March Answer: 7
    Number at C: The number that, when you square it, add the result to itself, and multiply the result of that by ten, gives you the date at Number A Answer: 1
    Number at D: The number that, when you square it and add both of the resulting digits together, brings you back to your original number. Answer: 9
    Number at E: The number that, when you add 4 and multiply the result by 10, gives a number that when added to the original number plus 2, and divided by 4, gives 27 as a result. Answer: 6
    Number at F: The number that is required to make this date famous in history. Answer: 9 (6 points)
    Name why the date is important. (1 point) Answer: It is the day of the first lunar landing - ie when man walked on the moon.

6. Crack this code and give an explanation for your answer (1 point)
    [​IMG]

Answer: 8. The squares are numbered from 1 to 9 starting at the top left - from left to right, right to left then left to right. I also accepted 2 if you number the squares from 1 to 9 starting at the bottom right and going left to right, left to right, left to right.

7. What number should replace the question mark, and why? (1 point)
    6 8 4 8 7 9 6 ?

Answer: 3. 6*8=48 therefore 7*9=63.

8. What number continues this sequence and why? (1 point)

15, 20, 20, 6, 6, ?

Answer: 19. The numbers denote the alphanumeric positions of the initial letter of the words one, two, three etc)

9.Crack this code and give an explanation for your answer (2 points)
    [​IMG]

Answer: 1. A+B =KL, C+D = MN, etc

10. What number should replace the question mark? (2 points)
    [​IMG]

Answer: 72. Halve the number on the left. Multiply the number on the right by 3. Multiply the two resulting numbers together – the product is in the bottom square.

11. What number should replace the question mark? (1 point)
    [​IMG]

Answer: 4 Start from top left of the spiral and work in, successively subtracting and then adding: 9 – 7 = 2, 2 + 5 = 7 etc

12. This simple calculation uses Roman Numerals made from matches. Move two matches to make the sum work. There are 2 possible answers to this (1 point for each correct answer Total = 2 points)
    [​IMG]

Answer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scoring : as inidicated for each question. Max = 22 points
    You will score 1 bonus point (not automatically allocated to Maths, but can be used at any remaining time in the competition) if you submit your final answer to this questions by 24 September 2009

___________________________________________________________________________________________

DOF Maths - Question 7

Insert the numbers supplied into the puzzle grid. There is only one correct way.

[​IMG]

ACROSS:

DOWN:

Scoring = 1 point for every correctly placed number. Max = 64

Answer:

[​IMG]

This is the end of the Maths Round. There are 7 questions. I already have your scores for Question 3, so you need to PM the answers to the other 6 questions to me by:

11:59pm, 30 September 2009 (your local time)

If you are competing in the entire round, you need to submit the following:
    1. A number indicating how many mathematical terms you found, along with a list of those terms and a diagram showing where they are located for Question 1
    2. A list of up to 8 sequences, with up to 5 answers for each sequence for Question 2
    3. The name of the person who prefers English speaking rooms on iSketch for Question 4. If you were unable to complete this question, you may submit a table that shows your working to get partial points as outlined. (Note: the forum doesn’t cope with tables, so it would have to be a screenshot)
    4. An answer for Question 5. Remember, this is worth 8 points, so a short answer with just the total is not enough to get all 8 points.
    5. The answers to the 12 ‘Weekly Quiz’ style questions in Question 6.
    6. A completed (or partially completed) Number Grid for Question 7.

You should also tell me by 30 September 2009 if you want to use any of your remaining bonus points in this round.

The total maximum score for the Maths Round (not including Question 1 as I don’t want to give that answer away) is 384. This includes all bonus points that have been available to collect so far.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. ILoveMaths07

ILoveMaths07 Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MATHS IS IN THE AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:biggrin::biggrin::smile::razz:

4. ILoveMaths07

ILoveMaths07 Member

Well, the maximum number of points for this round can be very very very greatttttttttttttttttttttt. You should've stated all rules clearly. You're probably going to regret this. :twisted::razz::razz:

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Thanks Saffy for running this one. The maths round looks fun already :biggrin: Oh, and Saffy, you're welcome... All credit to you, of course :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  6. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Let me know what needs clarifying, and I'll see what I can do to help you understand.
    u r :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

From what I can see for this round is that you need to:

1. Write a numbered list with the mathematical words from each picture,
    2. Modify the above image to match your numbered list of guesses to each part of the image, eg. if your answer to the honeycomb picture is the first term on your list then modify the picture to add the number 1 on top of it.
    3. State how many mathematical terms you have found.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  8. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Thanks Deebs.
    I also have had an ineteresting question via PM, so will clarify further:

I created the image with a set number of terms in mind, and tried to make some of them more difficult than others to see if people could get them all. For added interest, I didn't want to give out the specific number.

However....the question was asked - some items may lend themselves to more than one term - (for example a RECTANGLE also contains a LINE and a RIGHT-ANGLE) so in that example, would that count as three terms?

So, I will edit the original question so that it goes something like this: you can give me as many terms as you find (ie that example would count as 3 terms) but you will only get points for the specific terms I deliberately place in there.

I will give an Honorable Mention in the Awards thread to the person who comes up with the most terms (regardless of whether they get all of the intentional ones).

How does that sound?

9. Jmac

Jmac New Member

just a question regarding this then, so if i said rhombus and you were thinking rectangle, i dont get the point?
    i.e. it would be advantageous to guess all possible terms to try and find the one you were looking for?

10. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Yep, that's right. If I included a rectangle, I would be looking for the term 'rectangle'.
    And again you're right in being advantageous to include similar terms in order to get the correct one.

Given that - there might be limited space to number all the terms - so in the example I gave you could put a number 1 on the image of the rectangle, and in your list of words, list them as

1. Rectangle
    1(a) Line
    1(b) Right-Angle
    and so on.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Ahh.. I don't really get any of the other pictures.. :p ahah I have one. xD But I'm sure I'll figure out a few more if I try :) I'm interested to see how people do in this round, especially maths. xD

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  12. ILoveMaths07

ILoveMaths07 Member

Why should we guess 'rectangle' if we see a rhombus? Why should we guess 'rectangle' just because YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A RECTANGLE?

13. Sorsie

Sorsie New Member

Lol, maths just think of it as a challenge... :)

It should be easy for you with your range of mathematical devotion. ;D

14. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

You shouldn't.
    Because I know the difference between a rhombus and a rectangle.
    If you see a rectangle, guess rectangle.
    If you see a rhombus, guess rhombus.
    Chill.

Question 2 is up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  15. Fox

Fox Pumpkin

* Fox gets the horse's head. ;)
    ILoveMaths07, just think of it like playing iSk. You don't get points for saying "blade" when the word is "knife".

16. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Question 3 is ready.

17. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I really like question 3, shame that you noticed that I knew the codes in the first place though, Saff ;)

18. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

19. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Ooh how very logical :p The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is:

I don't think times are mentioned but positions (left and right) are. Could you clarify for me, it might be that I'm a little slow :p

20. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

times they enjoy playing:
    • in the morning
    • in the afternoon
    • during working hours
    • on the weekends
    • at night time.

1 person likes this.