DOF Round 2 - Science

Discussion in 'Games and Competitions' started by Saffron, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Congratulations, NoHints ^^

For everyone else who played - to get your additional points for this - please send me a PM with either a list of the elements that were on your table, or an edited table image showing the ones that you crossed off.

Here were all the elements that came up:

Element number 1: Calcium
    Element number 2: Oxygen
    Element number 3: Praseodymium
    Element number 4: Thallium
    Element number 5: Gadolinium
    Element number 6: Arsenic
    Element number 7: Aluminium
    Element number 8: Dysprosium
    Element number 9: Cerium
    Element number 10: Hafnium
    Element number 11: Niobium
    Element number 12: Chromium
    Element number 13: Actinium
    Element number 14: Flourine
    Element number 15: Tin
    Element number 16: Titanium
    Element number 17: Francium
    Element number 18: Cadmium
    Element number 19: Nickel
    Element number 20: 106
    Element number 21: Potassium

2. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

For question 5, if we enter more than one caption, do they both go to poll, and do we get the combined points for both captions?

Also, are all captions being polled together, or is it seperate polls for each pic?

3. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

If you enter two captions, they will both go in the poll. It will be a multiple choice poll, so both can receive votes, but you will get points for your highest scoring one only.

All captions will be polled together - as it is multichoice, anything worth a vote should get one.

4. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

I have put up the final two questions in this round.

As I will not be around, db1986 has agreed to take over the Dux competition so please PM your answers to db1986. I have forwarded the answers submitted so far for Science to him, and also the details of what I had planned for the Music, Humanities/Arts and Maths rounds. Enjoy.

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Just to let you all know, Saff has decided to take an extended break from the forum. She has not told me why she is having this break, but I wish her all the best for whatever she is planning to do.

One of the reasons I have decided to take over the running of the Dux is because I do not want Saff's excellent planning to go to waste. I haven't had a chance to look at what Saff has sent to me yet, but please all keep your faith in what Saff has prepared for me to continue, I'm sure she has done a fantastic job.

Let the competition continue! :)

6. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Just a quick reminder that Question 7 is due today if you would like to have a bonus point :)

7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Another reminder to say that the Science round will be closing shortly on 15 June.
    Unless I have sent you a PM discussing your progress, you still need to enter nearly all the questions.
    Please also let me know if you wish to use any bonus points for use in this round.

Queries about Question 8: I will be accepting any depiction of Cara that is possible.

8. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

This round is now closed.

Thank you to everyone who has participated, the poll will be up later today.

9. Peter

Peter Administrator

Damn this looked fun! Very well constructed quiz!

10. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Yep, Saff's really gone to town with this one :)

11. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

Is there still going to be a poll or something for the fantastic contraption entries?

I'd quite like a spy at what other people did :twisted:

1 person likes this.
  12. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Oh good point. I forgot about that one, thanks NH :)
    I will organise a poll for that shortly.

13. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I think you'll only be spying on one person if only two people have completed all the levels :rolleyes:

* storm pouts. :cry:

14. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

4 people have completed all 21 levels :)

Because Saff scored the contraptions part, I've had to change the efficiency thing slightly.
    I have an idea for a poll and I have PM'ed the winners separately so that they don't know who else has completed all 21 levels.
    Hopefully the poll will be up later today/tonight. If not, then tomorrow :)

1 person likes this.
  15. storm

storm Forum Tempest

oh nice. should be interesting then.

16. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I hope so :s

17. storm

storm Forum Tempest

lol why the face?

and I heard about your idea for the poll... should be tough decision for people entering and people voting :eek:

18. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what to do. If I polled all of the designs it would take ages, and there would be lots of polls to make.
    Hopefully people can choose their favourites. I know it is not an easy task, but it's the best idea I could think of that wouldn't be too time-consuming :)

19. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Master of Science

We have now reached the end of the Science Round, and it is time to announce which forumite is the Master of Science.
    Scoring 368 out of a possible 417 points, with a converted score of 88.25, the Master of Science is:

Highlight here -->|NoHints|

Other scores in this round were:
    81.77 (341 points)
    78.66 (328 points)
    71.46 (298 points)
    31.65 (132 points)
    9.59 (40 points)
    8.15 (34 points)
    8.15 (34 points)
    7.67 (32 points)
    7.67 (32 points)
    7.67 (32 points)
    7.67 (32 points)
    7.19 (30 points)
    7.19 (30 points)

It is the converted scores that will be used for your final Dux score at the end of the DOF competition.

Congratulations to the winner and thank you to all the entrants for taking part :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  20. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Well done NH.

Deebs, will you put the answers up?