db's Weekly Theme Challenge

Discussion in 'Thread Games' started by db1986, Jul 12, 2012.

1. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

db's Weekly Theme Challenge

Hey everyone :)

Introduction

Seeing as a significant part of iSketch is about drawing, I thought it would be nice to have a regular drawing event, similar to that of the BMC. Although Peter did a good job of supervising the BMC, unfortunately it came to an end a few months ago. Peter is not here as regularly as I am, I'm guessing maybe he is working on some new features for the forum :razz: so I thought I'd take it upon myself to introduce this new BMC variant.

This challenge is designed to be very flexible, and does not necessarily have to be a competition as such, although a little bit of friendly discussion and comparison is welcomed.

How it Works

The general gist of this weekly challenge is to create an image in the iSketch studio containing the current weeks' theme and upload it to your studio album in the iSketch gallery with the correct tag. Artists can either draw an elaborate form of the theme word itself, make the word a theme or background of their drawing, or even include the word with a PUN Mish Mash style, as long as the word is incorporated into the drawing in some way. You may also draw in tandem if you so wish.

There are no specific rules about drawing, except that all images must comply with normal forum posting and uploading rules. Be aware also that the thumbnail of your uploaded image will be advertised on the home page. These are viewable to guests on this forum if yours is one of the 5 most recently uploaded images. Forum members can view the full size image, guests cannot.

Entering

To fit in with the flexible style of this challenge, you may enter as many drawings and/or tandem drawings as you wish. You don't have to submit images to all weekly themes, just join in when you like and have fun! So without further ado, the first week's theme. We'll start with an easy theme and with a slightly longer time to warm us up.

This week's theme is Orange.
    Please use the keyword WTC_Week1 when submitting.

Weekly Theme Entrants

Week 1: Orange
    Week 2: Olympics
    Week 3: Pride
    Week 4: The Beach
    Week 5: The Great Outdoors
    Week 6: Family
    Week 7: Travel
    Week 8: Thanksgiving

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Mods - Please ignore the double posting, as this can be used as generic help around the forum, thanks :)

How to Upload/Submit your Image to the Gallery

1. Go to http://www.isketchforum.net/gallery or click on the iSketch Gallery icon on the top right hand corner of any forum page.
    2. Click on the Upload link shown here.
      [​IMG]
    3. Click on any of the three Choose File buttons (you can upload up to three images simultaneously), select the file from your computer and add a title to your drawing (circled orange).
      [​IMG]
    4. Select the Studio category (circled red) and enter the given tag for that week into the Keywords box (circled orange). Optionally add the word, and co-artist after this if drawing in tandem.
      [​IMG]
    5. Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
    The saved image will then be located in your Studio file, which you can find here. Just search for your own named folder. Until you upload to your studio folder, your folder will not exist, but will be automatically created when you do upload :)

2 people like this.
  3. Rood

Rood Active Member

This seems like a great idea, deebs, but do we currently have enough members visiting who are likely to partake? I would love to see this take off the same way Peter's BMC did, it would be a shame if it didn't.

4. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

Same thoughts, Rood. I did make an attempt at a drawing the other day, and was quite pleased with it's result....and then accidentally hit 'clear'!! I was absolutely gutted!

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That is a very good and valid point. I'm hoping it will be just as successful as the BMC, being as it is a nice relaxed challenge. If it isn't, I wouldn't be too disheartened, it may just be that the choice of theme isn't very inventive.

Perhaps I could sweet-talk whoever runs the Facebook plugin thing on the main iSketch page itself (guessing it's Rob?) into posting something on there, maybe that will help.

Silly sausage! I'm sure there's an undo button, considering you drew it in the studio, that is :razz: Edit: I just tried it, and it undoes the 'clear' thingy :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. SoulAngel

SoulAngel Active Member

Seriously? OMG I didn't even THINK of 'undo' after clear! I was just devastated that it was gone! :embarrassed::rolleyes:

7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I'm glad you managed to get a drawing submitted, Souly, very nice it is too.

Right, well we had two submitted images last week, so that's not bad at all :)

Due to my being away for the next 10 days, we'll have another "extended week" this week. Seeing as this week sees the start of the Olympics, it would only see fit that we should have that as our theme. Remember, you can participate in any weeks that you wish.

This week's theme is Olympics.
    Please use the keyword WTC_Week2 when submitting.

Be careful if you are using any official Olympic logos, they may well be copyrighted, so perhaps design your own logo for the games.

See you in a few days :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  8. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

So far I'm the only one to have submitted a drawing, but we'll continue with the Olympic theme until the Olympics is over. You'll be able to view all submitted drawings here :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

OK then, another week, another theme :) Based on the events over the past few weeks, I think we should continue with a happy theme.

This week's theme is Pride.
    Please use the keyword WTC_Week3 when submitting.

Good luck, and have fun :)

10. goose

goose Active Member

Wow, didn't notice this until now, I love the idea! I'll have to try and submit something :)

11. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

I'm in! Something to do on the weekend, yay. :)

12. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

What's the theme for this week, db!? :D Sorry, I didn't notice this thread until this week!

13. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Cool, sorry about the delay, I was debating whether to continue with this or not :)

This week's theme is The Beach.
    Please use the keyword WTC_Week4 when submitting.

Hope to see a few drawings this week :)

14. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

Where's yours, db!? :D

15. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Mine will be coming shortly. Loving the work this week, though :)

16. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

We love these challenges :) Still bummed I didn't see this sooner! And even more bummed that the studio runs 'Out of Memory' all the time causing me to lose work! >.<

Is it possible to use a different program but with the same size restrictions and tools? I know it sounds a bit silly since it's an iSketch thing

P.S. I'm excited to see yours! Yay Soul!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  17. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Good good :)

Really? I've never seen that message appear before. Maybe my drawings aren't detailed enough :p:

Sure, go ahead, I don't see why not. Especially if that message keeps appearing.

18. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member

Hahaha, well it DOES only seem to appear once I have done quite a bit of detail.. have to save often and it takes forever to load again if it pops up with this message and I have to close!
    It's only appeared recently! And for not just me. So I'm thinking something changed server-side.

Thanks db! I'll at least start it in iSketch next week and ss and finish in something else if that message pops up!

19. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Loving the submissions this time around. As always you can view all images submitted via the links in the first post :)
    Time for a new topic anyone?

This week's theme is The Great Outdoors.
    Please use the keyword WTC_Week5 when submitting.

20. iSnack2.0

iSnack2.0 New Member