Changes to iSketch Rules

Discussion in 'Guides' started by 2.0, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

Hi guys.

http://www.isketch.net/instructions/rules.shtml

No mention of PMs being allowed from now on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
    10 people like this.
  2. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

I'd like to point out that the following still apply though:

"Mathematical formulas are allowed. For example: The word "equation" can be rendered using "x + y = z"."

"Roman numerals are allowed; do not mistake them for letters."

It's about time they changed it since it says "Remember, letters are NOT allowed" before you draw, and admin kick messages say the pretty much the same thing. (still doesn't make sense because of the above though)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
    2 people like this.
  3. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

Except that it's not a true general statement anyway...

4. Nay

Nay New Member

Letters are part of every alphabet, abjad, abugida, or syllabary. So... we can still use logograms! Good news for everyone who can write Chinese or Japanese. Or Egyptian hieroglyphs.

On a more serious note: I think this rule sucks for both the reasons NH stated and because I don't think it's a problem to write RIP, zzz, etc. because it doesn't give away the answer any more than an open box with an arrow (to indicate 'in') does.

Oh well.

5. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

Actually, I've been skipped by an admin for a Chinese symbol before (a made up, Chinese looking symbol, not a real one. Trying to signify chinese-ness - not trying to give out a word - as if I could do that)

6. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

RIP on a gray block quickly translates into tombstone, grave etc. zzz gives away sleep and so on.

I'm kinda happy with the change.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

If words like that were allowed then draws like this would be allowed:

[​IMG]

I can, however, see why people would feel the need to draw letters for certain words (not saying the rules should allow for it though). Example: if you were told to draw a compass in real life, you'd no doubt put N, E, W and S on it.

5 people like this.
  8. MsNerdinator

MsNerdinator Guest

* MsNerdinator looks at Sam and whistles innocently.. :razz:
    I once did that. In the geography room and got a warning from an admin, heh. In my newbie days :p

I'm glad PMs aren't allowed anymore. Not to sound as though I never did them myself though! I did, but very rarely. At least this takes away the temptation of even writing "bye" to someone when they leave while I'm drawing. And it's annoying when someone votes to skip your PM and an admin comes in.. :eek: (which happened to me once). Waste of their time. It must be disappointing when they get to the room only to find that it was a PM that was being skipped. They could be out there chasing more important votes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  9. BB

BB Guest

Hmmmmmm is it possible to draw a compass without letters :razz:

[​IMG]

10. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

^^^^^ have you been screen capping my draws again^^^^:razz:

Once again I got skipped for using numbers, I wish it would state on canvas that numbers are allowed. My word was million, pretty hard to draw without numbers (and I didn't have enough time to draw a million dots........:razz:)

edit...it does amaze me that money signs can be used. £ $ etc . A pound sign is guessable straight away , whereas a Z for a sleep draw (which isn't allowed) could be a number of words...sleep...nap... dream..snore...snooze..bedroom....duvet... etc etc

* optimus prime hikes up the kilt for no pm's on canvas

11. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

And I suppose that using £1 is for "pound" is no different from using 1p for penny. There's lots of odd examples, lines need to be drawn somewhere...

12. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

Very different £1 is allowed 1p isn't.

I'm all for the new rule, and indeed the old rules that still stand, I just feel the the Z one seems harsh, when £ $ are allowed that's all. If I wrote a £ sign everyone should get it straight away, but using the Z doesn't give the word out by just that.

13. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

What I mean is that £1 is no bigger a clue than 1p, and one is allowed and one isn't.

14. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

so maybe the answer is......no signs at all :razz:

That way hopefully more people could start to draw sounds like pic's when needed.

15. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

The general, underlying rule of iSketch on what to draw and what not to draw is:

In my mind, symbols (and also numbers) are no more artistic than letters. I still think they should be allowed though.

16. MsNerdinator

MsNerdinator Guest

There's always been something to complain about in the rules section. I remember there being a massive thread on it.. somewhere.

But I think it's fair to say this was a great decision. I don't think there is need to pick on every teeeeeny tiny bit of the rules. There will still always be some grey areas, and we can't all be happy altogether. It's difficult to get the balance. I think I'd struggle if I was the rule maker.

I'm just glad that PMs aren't allowed. The £ vs zzz's.. shouldn't matter (though I see your point). But remember, the general rule is that symbals are allowed and letters aren't. If they allow zzz's for a drawing where someone is sleeping, then they ARE allowing letters. Surely this would be contradicting the rules and people will abuse that and there will be complications.. especially with the newer players who don't know the rules properly. So it only makes sense to cut off letters full stop. And to disallow symbals and numbers too, would just make the game waaaaay too difficult. So that's where the line has been drawn. I'm happy with it :D

17. flopsy

flopsy Guest

What I find contradictory is that the cent sign is allowed but the penny sign isn't. It's equitable to allow the £ sign if you allow the $ or € symbols but to allow 'c' for cent but not 'p' for penny seems odd to me.

18. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

The cent sign is ¢, not (technically:p) a c...

And Nerdy, the no letters rule is already contradicted by exceptions that already exist.
    As is the "no non-artistic clues" rule.

19. MsNerdinator

MsNerdinator Guest

If you think it's strange that the 'c' (as part of the symbol) in ¢ is allowed but the 'p' for penny isn't, then 's' for dollar would be strange as well then :p Someone voted to skip me for doing the dollar sign... S without the line going through it at first. Easy mistake, 'cause it started off as a letter.

Must. Remember. To. Do. The. Line. FIRST.
    Or at least draw the pound sign! Which would make more sense considering I'm a UK'er, heh.

I hate to agree with hinty (muahahahaa! :p) but I'm with him on that one.. the ¢ sign isn't just a c, just like the dollar sign isn't just an s. The p for penny is just a letter on its own. But I gotta admit, I do feel a tiny bit guilty when I skip people for doing a 'p' on a penny, especially when they generally follow the rules. :|

It would be funny if they allowed € and £ but not a ¢ or a $ (purely because they have letter-like characteristics about them). That would create so much drama. I think I'd need an idiots guide handbook on the rules of iSketch to keep on my desk :D Like I said, the lines have to be drawn somewhere, and I think they've done well to find that balance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  20. Atreyu

Atreyu Member

Wow! Is this a sign that im getting old... because, ive never heard of anyone using a p as short for penny????(must be something those people that just loooooooove to use letters made up)... I always thought you used a "1" and the "cent" symbol when making a sign for a single penny in real life and on iSk(if youre lazy and looking for easy points).

NoHints... couldnt you draw a map and put the little compass symbol at the bottom? Even if its not as elaborate as BB's example(i.e. circle with a cross with arrows inside)???? Ive drawn this and most people get it. Works for north, south, east, west too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HOORAY! For the "slight" change of the rules. I love it. If things are gonna be done artistically then I think symbols should be gone too.(I know Im asking too much of some people). I can draw a dollar bill in place of a dollar sign. I can draw a quarter, dime, nickle, and penny and point to the penny for cent/penny. I dont even have to put any drawing or symbol on them as long as I use the right colours and sizes. Anyway, Ive done this and people were able to guess what it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.