BrokenPictureTelephone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gingly, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Gingly

Gingly New Member

http://www.brokenpicturetelephone.com/

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but it's another fun online drawing-based game. Everyone probably knows how the game of broken telephone works, where one message passes on to the next person until it gets to the end where we find out how badly lost in translation the original message became. BPT works the same way but instead it alternates between text and drawings until the last person is reached.

Basically, each round starts off with a typed message. The next person is given only that message as a prompt and has to draw a picture using it. The person after is given only that picture as a prompt and needs to write a message describing it, and so on. When the last person is reached (ends with a text prompt always) the whole game is revealed to all the players who participated. And just like the original, the initial message rarely surives intact, although here is one that came close.

I find the game fun because of the hilarious ways people unintentionally misinterpret each other. There are also some really good artists who play regularly. I've also spotted a few iSketch players on BPT. : )

The only problems with the site is that it's often on the slow side when loading, and there are occasional trolls who like to ruin games by ignoring prompts. It's similar to the kinds of trolls oft-encountered during iSketch though. However, most players know to not let the trolls bother them and sometimes their responses to the trolls' drawings/messages are really funny too.

If you're interested my account in BPT is 'Ginglyform'. : D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. Vik

Vik New Member

Gingly - does this actually work?

I tried to sign up and my email address wont validate. I sent them an email to this effect and suddenly I'm getting notifications of games that I have participated in... when I can't even log in.

Not sure if this is a scam or if I have been unlucky??

EDIT: I have managed to log in now - without verification! And I completed some games - although I am still getting emails about games I have not been involved in. There's even pictures posted under my name that haven't been drawn by me etc. Very weird. I have complained about it. It's a cool idea for a game, but it appears to be veeery buggy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  3. bunE

bunE New Member

Have signed up and it seems fun...but a lil drawn out...if you pardon the pun

4. Vik

Vik New Member

OK, the problems I was experiencing seem to have gone now - and it's a really fun game!

One piece of advice, don't browse while you are playing, or while the pictures or descriptions that you submit are saving, as this seems to make it not save properly which is very frustrating!

EDIT: Argh! Spoke too soon! Someone still drawing under my name :(

5. Gingly

Gingly New Member

@Vik: Oh wow, I haven't heard of that happening before. I see you have put up a thread in the Help forum, hopefully someone can sort that out for you : ( If it continues maybe you can use the Report a Bug feature.

Oh yes, that's a good thing to bring up. If you have a browser that has multiple tabbing, you shouldn't have more than one tab open of BPT if you're submitting a game, although browsing other sites on other tabs should be fine.

@bunE: True true, you probably would want to check back another time of the day to see how your games turned out rather than stay on to wait for them.

6. Vik

Vik New Member

S, despite the problems I have had - I gotta say, this game ROCKS!!!

I'm so addicted, lol.

Thanks, Gingly!!

EDIT: @ BunE - we've been in the same game a few times!!! Only at least one time it wasn't actually me but my name-thief :p

7. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I've been on the site a while, although I didn't play. Just played now, lol the shame xD

Maybe your password is easy to crack.

8. Vik

Vik New Member

Nope - after I realised someone had used my name, I changed my password to something impossible that I had to write down in order to remember!

Judging from other's complaints, it seems likely that my validation key was sent to someone else instead, and that they probably don't even realise they are playing under someone else's name...

Hasn't happened for a while now though, so hopefully it's sorted itself out.

9. bunE

bunE New Member

me and son completely hooked!! thanks SO much GINGLY!!X

10. Fox

Fox Pumpkin

Mmmm yiss this site does have a few problems but it's been getting a lot better recently. But yeah, I love this game. :):) I play as Foxy. :)

11. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I don't think I've heard of this game before but it looks quite fun :)

12. Rocksie

Rocksie New Member

LOL! I have ben playing B.P.T for a while. It is great fun.

It can be a little drawn out I spose, it depends how much you play I used to do a load of games before bed and wake up to hilarity!
    You can make private games which makes things a bit quicker but possibly not as funny

I play as Rocksie there too, add me if you investigate :)

http://www.brokenpicturetelephone.com/players/Rocksie

13. Casta_Diva

Casta_Diva New Member

Ooo this game sounds hilarious! I signed up (my user name is the same as here, Casta_Diva) and created a couple of games...but every time I try to join an existing game, my browser can't seem to load the previous picture/words. Perhaps it is an Internet Explorer thing?

14. Fox

Fox Pumpkin

Yeah, you chose a bad time to join, Casta, as the game has died. :( It's not working for anyone at all. Give it a couple of weeks, though... Alishah, the creator, says that he's going to fix it. I hope that he does, but he's not the most present of creators, to be honest.

15. Casta_Diva

Casta_Diva New Member

Awwe well that's disappointing! From the looks of what is above, it must have had quite a few bugs and was only a matter of time before it crashed. Ah well, I'll check it out in a few weeks then and hopefully it's back running. It's a great idea for a game!

16. Shiny_Penny

Shiny_Penny New Member

This is a great game. And a lot of fun. I have a different user id there, just to make things interesting. It is up and down a lot though. Seems every time the site grows, it goes through growing pains. You can check the status of BPT on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=141897410544

17. Ches

Ches Super Moderator

No problems signing up, but as soon as I went to enter the verification code, the site won't load for me anymore.

edit: Ok - I'm in. But I don't see anything to draw/describe. I assume there should be another post-it pad on the left hand side of the screen, but the space is just blank.

edit edit: Teach me not to read the whole thread first. :p

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  18. * MrsNerdinator laughs and points at Ches xD