Broken Picture Telephone (iSketch Forum Style)

Discussion in 'Thread Games' started by db1986, Feb 14, 2011.

1. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Hey everyone :)

I was looking through some old threads (yes, the whole following the spiders thing really does bring back memories :biggrin:) and I found this thread about the game Broken Picture Telephone.

Some people may have played this game in the past, but I never played it while the site was active, and seeing as it is a drawing-based game, I thought that perhaps we could have our own version of the game on this forum.

For those who haven't played before, it is like a pictionary-style Chinese Whispers, the rules are quite simple:

1. The first person starts with a phrase of a few words (about 10-15 say).
    2. The second person in line draws a big picture based on the given phrase.
    3. The third person then takes only the second person's drawing (not their given phrase) and describes the second person's drawing in their own words.
    4. Steps 2 and 3 are repeated until the last player creates the final description.
    5. We then see how close the final description is to the original phrase and reveal all the images and text in between.
    Is anyone interested in joining, or have any other ideas or contributions at all? :biggrin:

Oh, and I'm hoping that we can go twice through the list of people who are joining, that way everyone gets to draw and devise a description :)

2. Rood

Rood Active Member

* Rood is as keeeeeeeeeen as a jellybean. A red one.

3. Medea.

Medea. Active Member

I'm down.

Depending on how many people are interested you might wanna rethink that. It'll get boring if we have to wait ages to see the end result! Shorter games more often might be the go. But maybe that's my impatience.. lawl.

4. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Hmm.. yeah, we could have two going at the same time maybe :)

5. Holydiver

Holydiver New Member

allright! here's the caption!

" !Snap,crackle,pop! "

6. Alessadri

Alessadri Forum Skull

As long as there will be stringent deadlines, I'm in.

1 person likes this.
  7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Yeah agreed. How about a few days for each drawing? At the moment there's not much interest so the twice around thing might come into play.

8. Alessadri

Alessadri Forum Skull

Won't the thing be reset when the first artist gets their turn to describe? I mean, they'd already know what the original word/phrase is.

9. Peter

Peter Administrator

Count me in

10. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

OK, let's start this game, it seems as if no-one else is interested. We have 6 players; Alessadri, Holydiver, iSnack2.0, Medea., MissyRed and Peter.

So that everyone gets a go at the text and the drawing, we'll have two of these chains going simultaneously.

.........Chain 1 Order.........'...Chain 2 Order
    ............MissyRed..................iSnack2.0
    ............Alessadri....................Medea.
    ............Holydiver.........'...........Peter
    ........'...iSnack2.0..................MissyRed
    ..........'...Medea.........''..........Alessadri
    .......'.......Peter..............'......Holydiver

If your name is in red, you need to draw an image when you receive the previous description. You can be as detailed as you like when drawing, but try to include all parts of the description as closely as you can.
    If your name is in blue, you need to write a description when you receive the previous image. Make sure your description includes everything that you can see and that your description is approximately 10-15 words.
    Although this is just a guideline, try to aim to finish your section in a few days, so that we can move on :)
    When you have finished your drawing or description, PM your contribution to both the next player in the chain and also to me. I'll then collect all the contributions together to be displayed at the end of the chain.

I think I've covered everything that's needed so I'll be PMing the first two players their respective captions soon.
    Edit: OK, I forgot to say, you can't use letters. Also all images should be approximately 480x480 pixels (iSketch canvas size) and are subject to normal forum posting rules.

Good luck to everyone and have fun :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    3 people like this.
  11. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Heh, Missy and Snacky mean business; they've finished already. This means the second people should be able to write their descriptions soon :)

Both images are lovely :biggrin:

12. Rood

Rood Active Member

Srs bsns!

This is gonna be awesome, can't wait to see what others come up with!

13. Holydiver

Holydiver New Member

Oh so I am gonna draw hmm..Do I have to use isketch studio? Moo moo help!

14. Rood

Rood Active Member

Probably makes sense to just the iSketch studio. :)

15. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Yes, you can use any drawing program you like. I just made it 480x480 roughly, because it's convenient to draw it in and copy it from the studio. Images that size are easy to see and easy to add detail without being overly massive are always better :)

Happy sketching :)

16. Medea.

Medea. Active Member

Debbie your inbox is full!!

17. Holydiver

Holydiver New Member

db clean your inbox pls I have to send you my sketch! thx

18. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Oopsie, I have space now ;)

19. Peter

Peter Administrator

Eeek, seems I am holding up both chains -- sorry guys :embarrassed:

It's been an extremely busy weekend what with visitors and my birthday, I'll continue send on the message/picture thisevening.

20. Holydiver

Holydiver New Member

Happy Belated BDay Peter!