Books on my Shelf

Discussion in 'Humour and Debate' started by agentQ, Jul 25, 2008.

1. agentQ

agentQ Guest

There are about 200 books on my shelf but these are my favorite.

Favorite Fiction- Life of Pi-Yann Martel

Favorite Romance-The English Patient-Micheal Ondaatje

Favorite Fantasy-The Great Indian Novel-Shashi Tharoor

Favorite Thriller-The Reluctant Fundamentalist-Hamid Mohsin

Favorite Classic/Philosophy-Thus spoke Zarathustra-Friedrich Nietzsche

Favorite Autobiography-Motor Cycle Diaries-Ernesto Guevara

Favorite Children's story-Kim-Rudyard Kipling

Favorite book on Politics-The Communist Manifesto-Karl Marx and Engels

Favorite book on Business -Lexus and the Olive tree-Thomas Friedman

Favorite book on Management-Only the Paranoid Survive-Andrew s. Groove

Please post your favorite books .:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  2. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

Only books I have are all computer stuff, like books on Perl, PHP, HTML/XHTML, Javascript, etc...

3. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Same here.

Jobe missed out his Playboy mags :twisted:.

4. Jobe

Jobe Abministrator

In all honesty, I don't actually have any :eek:

When I sit in front of a computer, why would I buy mags? :twisted:

5. 2.0

2.0 Super Moderator

Look into bookcrossing, if you like books this might be for you.

6. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

Excellent thread agentQ :biggrin:

I have over 1,000 books :embarrassed: It is a mixed genre... I have a passion for reading (and writing).

Favorite Fiction - A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)

Favorite Romance - Atonement (Ian McEwan) [ok.. this could be argued that it isn't Romance... but romance is there :razz:]

Favorite Fantasy - Harry Potter Series (J K Rowling)

Favorite Thriller - The Crystal Skull (Manda Scott) **

Favorite Classic/Philosophy
    - Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)

Favorite Autobiography - Just One More Thing (Peter Falk)

Favorite Children's story - Green Eggs and Ham (Dr Seuss)

Favorite book on Politics - N/A

Favorite book on Business - Dragon's Den: Success, from Pitch to Profit (Duncan Bannatyne et al)

Favorite book on Management - N/A

** This is my current favourite - but I also love anything by John Grisham too :biggrin: Ooo.. and I also love books about the Knights Templar, Freemasons (factual... not drivel :razz:)

That was sooo hard...

1 person likes this.
  7. :eek: I hate reading, lol.
    The only type of books that I have on my shelves are educational ones. Computing (coding and graphics), English (teaching) related stuff. And a bunch of cook books by my favourite cooks. Which is weird, 'cause I've never done a recipe out of them, just make them up. But I guess it's nice to look at pictures of food for inspiration? o_O

I just don't bother with fictional books, especially. :/

The book I did like to read a lot when I bothered :p was... Pride and Prejudice. :) <3 That will always be my all time favourite. I know.. sad. :razz: Ooooh.. and 'My Left Foot'. Dang... :'(

8. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

MrsNerdinator - you disappoint me :razz: I cannot say anything further on the subject!

* TempusFugit goes off and reads her new book - The Sanctuary (Shameless Plug) :razz:

9. Mike_LFC

Mike_LFC New Member

This thread has made me count my books. Currently have 276 on my shelves. Which is far more than I thought and looks.

Favorite Fiction - The Stand (Stephen King)

Favorite Romance - As if I would read a romance novel :twisted:

Favorite Fantasy - Lord of the Rings ( JRR Tolkein)

Favorite Thriller - The Hunt for Red October (Tom Clancy)

- The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)

Favorite Autobiography - Anfield Iron (Tommy Smith)

Favorite Children's story - The Thief of Always (Clive Barker)

Favorite book on Politics - N/A

Favorite book on Business - N/A

Favorite book on Management - N/A

10. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Oooh... :biggrin: I like John Grisham too! But I didn't really fancy The Pelican Brief much :s What did you make of it?

Woo!!! :biggrin:

Favorite Fiction - Anne of Green Gables - L.M Montgomery

Favorite Romance - The last time I tried reading a romance was because I thought I'd give the genre a shot... so I picked up a Mills and Boon, and I was so impressed, I never touched another romance novel again... N/A

Favorite Fantasy - Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien

Favorite Thriller - I can't remember what it was called. :sad: I thought it was by Robin Cook, but none of the blurbs seem familiar on wikipedia. All I remember is that it had an eye on the front cover and it was a medical thriller. Read it a loooong time ago.

- Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) - Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Favorite Autobiography - N/A - I don't read these

Favorite Children's story - The Fox and the Stork - Aesop (of Aesop's Fables)

Favorite book on Politics - Dude, Where's My Country? - Michael Moore

Favorite book on Business - N/A - The only business books I've read were for school and uni, and I can't say I enjoyed them

Favorite book on Management - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey

I used to read a lot...while walking back home, while eating, between classes... now I barely read... :( It's my dream to have a little library of my own when I build/buy my own house, though. I'm well impressed with TF's collection of 2000 books. Rawr, that rocks! :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  11. reecer6

reecer6 New Member

Right now I'm reading:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Book 2
    the Sea of Monsters.

12. jenni939706

jenni939706 Twirl Princess

ahhh, since i dont feel like filling out that thing and i dont feel like listing the 15 books that im currently reading, im just gonna say this: twilight, new moon, and eclipse are amazing books :)

13. Capt_Sparrow

Capt_Sparrow Active Member

Favorite Fiction - 1984 (George Orwell)

Favorite Romance - hmm.... :rolleyes:

Favorite Fantasy - His Dark Materials Trilogy (Philip Pullman) / Harry Potter Series (J.K. Rowling) - toss up between the two

Favorite Thriller - Icon (Frederick Forsyth)

Favorite Classic/Philosophy - Macbeth (William Shakespeare) - does that count?

Favorite Autobiography - haven't read any

Favorite Children's story - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)

Favorite book on Politics - Republic (Plato) - only one I've read :eek:

Favorite book on Business - yet to read

Favorite book on Management - yet to read

I really should read more :p

14. storm

storm Forum Tempest

LibraryThing

An interesting site with a database of over 30 million books. You can list all the books you ever own on it (it has a pretty diverse range) and connect to people who've read the same books too.

It also makes a "book quilt" using the covers of books, so you have a pictorial representation of your library which looks quite nice.

You need to register, but it's quick and painless.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    2 people like this.
  15. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I'm currently into the Harry Potter series. I'm quite a slow reader but I'm half way through Prisoner of Azkaban.
    My favourite childhood book was The Twits by Roald Dahl.

16. Sam_I_am

Sam_I_am New Member

First... how did I miss this thread?

Second... Mrs. Nerd... Shocked and horrified... I cannot believe that you are a non-reader! :cry:

jenni... I like those the Twilight books, et al too. Never thought I would read a book series with vampires and werewolves.

Favorite Fiction - Too many to list, but I usually say that L.M. Montgomery is my favorite author

Favorite Romance - too many to list, I go through phases, for cheap, quick read I like Linda Lael Miller writes great western romances that can be read in about two hours.

Favorite Fantasy - books by David Eddings and also by L.E. Modesitt

Favorite Thriller - Pelican Brief or The Client by Grisham

Favorite Classic/Philosophy - Great Expectations by Dickens

Favorite Autobiography - Frederick Douglass

Favorite Biography - I read a fantastic one on Daniel Boone a few years back, can't remember the author

Favorite Children's story - Little Princess or Secret Garden

Favorite book on Politics - Gack... wouldn't choose to read this genre, but I had to for my major and minor in college

Favorite book on Business - never will read one of these, unless you count Confessions of a Shopaholic

Favorite book on Management - ditto and who would choose to read something like this

17. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Only for work or studying purposes I would assume.

18. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Management books can be entertaining reading.

I found 7 Habits very interesting. It was well-written. Not like a dissertation on the effect of a closed door policy in a blue-collar industry. But more general, philosphical, easy reading with humorous yet relevant anecdotes.

19. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I suppose I can't really judge seeing as I haven't read a management book.

20. Sarah

Sarah New Member

How have I not seen this thread??? :eek: I'm such a book geek and have a ridiculous amount of them, what with just having finished an English degree.

Favourite Fiction: Such a hard choice! Anything by Ian McEwan, 'The Tennant of Wildfell Hall' by Anne Bronte, 'Kommandant's Girl' by Pam Jenoff and 'When We Were Orphans' by Kazuo Ishiguro - to name but a few!

Favourite Romance: Er... not my favourite genre, but if I have to try and fit one here - 'Phantom of the Opera' by Gaston Leroux. Not strictly romance, but rather romantic at times.

Favourite Fantasy: Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien.

Favourite Thriller: More crime really, but anything by Kathy Reichs.

Favourite Classic/Philosophy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

Favourite Autobiography: Not read many really. Would it be sad to say John Barrowman's? Purely for the musical theatre connections which I found interesting as musical theatre is my other love.

Favourite Biography: David Starkey's 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' is FANTASTIC.

Favourite Children's Story: The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.

Favourite Politics: Probably Boris Johnson's 'Have I Got Views For You'

And I haven't read any on Business or Management. And because there was no category for drama, I'm going to have to mention 'Richard III' by William Shakespeare - after writing my dissertation on it, I kind of can't leave it out. Plus, I realise that I've waffled here. Get me talking about books and I don't stop. :embarrassed: