Awards

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Saffron, Nov 13, 2008.

1. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That sounds like good idea Vik, but regular users cannot edit their posts on locked topics. They would have to wait for a greenie or orangey to either unlock it for them or post themselves. The only thing regular users can do is thank a post in a locked topic.

Is there a way to make Saff a "temporary" green so she can only edit the locked Awards topic?

2. Vik

Vik New Member

Oh, sorry, I think the last time I tried editing a locked topic, I was a greenie - must be that regular forumites can't do that.

I think it would be possible for Saffron to be made a greenie of a certain section of the forum - so if there were to be an awards subsection then she could have control of it.

Saying this, it would mean that this awards thread would become a fairly large part of the forum (which isn't a bad thing as I think it's great) but I think Saffron would have to think about whether she'd like to take it on.

OR just make Saffron an all-round greenie. She'd be great!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  3. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

That's OK, Vik. I had to try it as well, because I was a little unsure myself :embarrassed:

I would imagine that subsection moderation is possible, I've seen it on other fora. I don't think she would mind as she suggested it in the first place.

Seconded :razz:

4. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Like what we did in the girls group? ;)

Vik's idea:

I think it can be a good idea to have a seperate thread for the actual listing of the awards.

Having said that, I think having the list of awards on the same thread as Award chat works fine, too. What I like about having the list and the chat in the same thread is that it keeps things tied together. I think people can tell when the Awards thread is due for an update because it will be updated after a competition is finished, so editing to update the thread (whether through Vik's suggestion or mine) should be all right.

Thirded!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Both of those suggestions sound like they would work.

With storm's idea - I had a little fiddle in Excel, with the intention of then screendumping it for the table image. I like the idea of the table, too, as it seems very clean. I'll have a little more play with that.

With Vik's idea - it might even be possible for a mod to insert 19 new posts after the intital post in this thread? I'm not sure about the need to lock the thread, unless it is just to keep it as 'display' only and not have the chat/responses attached. Maybe not even that many. I could probably have "Custom Ranks" in one post, "Tournaments" in a second, and then "Competitions" split over the next few - eg by year (unless we are planning more than 15 comps in a year :eek:) or between random comps and special occasion comps, or between drawing comps and 'other' comps. Hmm.

Peter is looking at the awards hack in the link that I gave earlier. He needs to check its compatibility with some things etc - because I am not an actual member of the vBulletin forum, I couldn't see exactly how it worked (only the thread discussion about it) - but if it's similar to the Arcade, then it might make this whole converation moot. He did offer to give me additional access to that if it was implemented, in order to keep it maintained etc. I am more than happy to do that.

I'm not so sure about the all-round greenie thing though. Although, I hear TempusFugit throws some pretty mean parties in the Mod lounge....

6. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

The User Competitions subsection of Forum Games is quite large at the moment, and with the possible addition of a subsection or quite a large thread to display all these competition winners, can I suggest a new layout?

If the User Competitions had its own section instead of being a child of Forum Games, then all the competitions and awards can be listed in two separate child sections.
    In the Awards child section, there could be different threads listing the separate years with Vik's idea of multiple posts to separate each competition within each year thread.

For example:

If you were looking at the Dux of the Forum competition, the complete thread path would be:

iSketch Forum > User Competitions > Competitions > Dux of the Forum

If you wanted to look at the awards for the Dux competition, the complete thread path would be:

iSketch Forum > User Competitions > Awards > 2009

If you were looking at the awards of the Blitz! Tournament, the complete thread path would be:

iSketch Forum > User Competitions > Awards > 2008

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    3 people like this.
  7. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I like that idea deebs, because it would be quite neat (literally and figuratively) to categorise the competitions in User Competitions.

I'd suggest this:
    iSketch Forum > Off Topic > User Competitions > Valentine's Day

instead of this (which is what we have now):
    iSketch Forum > Off Topic > Forum Games > User Competitions

I think it might draw more attention to User Competitions if it were a direct subsection of Off-Topic, because Forum Games is quite active and I think it sometimes overshadows the User Competitions sub-sub-section.

I think it might be nice to have thematic sub-sections within User Competitions, like:
    Valentine's Day
    Easter
    Christmas
    iSketch competitions
    General Competitions

I wouldn't necessarily say we should order it by year because we can sort the competition by date with the 'sort by date' tool on each section, but since some competitions start out with different names but refer to the same theme (e.g. db1986's Christmas Competition), sorting the threads alphabetically through 'thread name' isn't the best method, I find, for finding all christmas comps, for example.

Edit: I know there's a tool in 'search this forum' where you can put 'christmas', for example, as the key word and just have threads with the word 'christmas' in the title show up, but I'm still in favour of thematic sub-sections.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    3 people like this.
  8. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Another idea - as the thread contains custom rank information as well as competition and tournament winners - is to actually relocate it into the Forum section of the boards as an actual "Hall of Fame" or distinction.

So in that section there would be:
    • News and Announcements
    • Feedback
    • Introductions
    • Hall of Fame (or whatever you would call it)

Then the threads could be laid out as suggested with the themes - the initial post in the thread could list the winners of the comps with links to them (exactly as this thread is laid out) - with the ability to chat as well.

Would just have to make sure that the first 3 or 4 posts in the "general comps" were held for future updates.

So you would have:
    Forum --> Hall of Fame --> Custom Ranks
    Forum --> Hall of Fame --> Competition Results
    Forum --> Hall of Fame --> Competition Results --> Easter
    Forum --> Hall of Fame --> Competition Results --> Christmas
    Forum --> Hall of Fame --> iSketch Tournament Results
    etc

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Have added the Easter comp results.

1 person likes this.
  10. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Thanks Saffy, congrats to storm and both Fox and storm for their special mentions :)

11. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Have added the Double Dash Tourny winners.