Awards

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Saffron, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Aw sorry - I changed it :sad: But have used that one for the Masters.
    And eep - I tried to put an image for all 5 Masters, but got the 'more than 10 images' frown.

2. Ches

Ches Super Moderator

If awards start getting too long, we'll probably start creating more fancy award images that incorporate several awards... but yeah - it shouldn't be anything to worry about for a while. The main problem is that I don't have ftp access to isketchforum and have to host the images on photobucket... makes the code stupidly long and uses up space too fast.

The only way around that is to put them all into one image and post that image above or below. Sorry :sad:

3. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Actually Ches' picture looks quite cool there :)

I guess that means that someone has to poke Peter :p

4. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

How about what we did with the Treasure Hunt polls that had more than 10 images, if I put them up as URLs, a mod can edit it. It worked for that ;)

5. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

I guess it would work as long as you could have text as well as an image. It would come up as a poll rather than a post but that doesn't really matter.

6. NoHints

NoHints Active Member

I don't see why it would need to be a poll?

7. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Isn't that the only way you can have more than 10 images without double posting or am I being dumb? :s

8. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

You're not being dumb.
    It's just that we used it last time to create the polls, so you have linked the two things together unnecessarily.
    Any post can be put up with more than 10 image links, and then a mod can edit the links by removing the URL tags, and the images display, regardless of there being more than 10. It seems to not recognise the number of images if they are edited that way.

Edit: I've done it now anyway, we'll see if it can be modified.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  9. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Ahh OK, I wasn't exactly sure how it could be done, and yes I did get confused. (it happens quite easily sometimes) :embarrassed:
    That why I double posted my images for the Christmas comp.

Back on topic: Does Jen get an custom rank for winning the Hallowe'en comp?

10. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

It wasn't done as a comp that could earn a custom rank at the time.
    And that is what these awards that Ches is working on in the titles are for - to officially recognise winners of individual competitions.

The Treasure Hunt and your Christmas Competition involved multiple parts, so a Custom Rank was offered (in the Treasure Hunt I vetted it with Ches and TF beforehand, and in the Christmas Comp, it was offered by Ches part way through.) Also, storm's was offered as she has won more than one competition....

It's up to Ches though who he offers a Custom Rank to, and for what reason. My personal opinion is that they should be difficult to get, else it loses some meaning.

11. storm

storm Forum Tempest

For the Who's Who jen talked to the mods about a prize and I think that's where it originally came from (for me), but multiple competition can also be a reason.

I also agree with Saff that custom ranks should be should be hard to get, because they're the super bumper ultimate prize ^_^

Mods/admins discretion though, I think, which competitions are awarded ranks. Images in titles can be decided by the person hosting the tournament?

Edit:
    You could combine all award images into 1 image and then hosted on pb so there's less text?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. Ches

Ches Super Moderator

That could work - Although I quite like having alt tags for each pic, so that you can tell what each one is for. And if lots of people were getting different things, it could be an eensy bit time-consuming too.

13. Peter

Peter Administrator

Yeaaah, this is a great thread, well done Saff :) It's a wonderful idea to implement that modification that was mentioned. I'm hoping to make a few changes to the forum in coming weeks (opinions allowing of course) but gotta make sure the mod plays fair with vB 3.8 first. If it does we'll be seeing it soon :D

2 people like this.
  14. jenni939706

jenni939706 Twirl Princess

so the admins are awake........

15. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Woo Hoo XD
    * Saffron does a jenni-like twirl

16. Peter

Peter Administrator

Oh and I somehow managed to overlook Ches's solution that's a rather good compromise, sorry about the FTP thing, I'll try sort something out :)

17. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

I have updated the original post to include the latest two competitions on the Turkish Forum. However, I have reached the image limit again.......Peterrrr......... :(

18. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Calling for suggestions:

The first post in this thread (the Unofficial iSketchForum Hall of Fame) lists the custom ranks, the forum competition winners, and the iSketch tournament winners. The trouble is I can't add any more images as there is a limit of 15 images per post.

Before the lastest update, the previous version had a glitch whereby you could put in image links as opposed to images, and a Mod could then edit them, and this would by-pass the image limit. This glitch appears to have been fixed in the new release. (boo)

It's not really feasible to have no limit on images - for most posts even 15 is more than enough.

And to have just one image (that includes the little images alongside the competition name) would mean that the individual competitions would not be able to have hotlinks to the relevant threads.

Can anyone suggest how we might get around this?

19. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I'd suggest having a single, chart-like image. It can show which images are for which comps, in a table sort of way. The links for the competitions and the name(s) of the winning forumite(s) can just go below the chart, in order of date.

It's not really imperative after all to repeat the image for every link, and I think it will look neater actually if the images were in a single chart, and the links were just text.

You could keep updating the image chart (replacing with a new one) whenever there's a new competition to add.

Would that work? =)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    3 people like this.
  20. Vik

Vik New Member

That's a good idea, Storm.

My first thought was that you could create another thread, and post 20times (basically take up all the posts on page 1 of the new thread, just saying 'for future award winners' in those posts. The thread could then be locked.

That new thread could be named 'awards' and this thread could be re-named 'talk about awards' or something.

The first post from here could then be edited into the first post of your new thread, and then you'd have 19 more posts to play around with when you need them, and the possibility of more if you use them up because it could be unlocked and more added.

The problems with my suggestion is that the new awards thread wouldn't show up in 'new posts' because it's simply being edited and not posted on anew, BUT if it were stickied then it would be easy to find and view.

I'm fairly certain that a locked thread can be edited - if not then this idea is totally useless :p

1 person likes this.