Arcade: complaints and ideas

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Vik, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Where did you play these games? I don't see them.

2. *AJ*

*AJ* New Member

I just googled them Deadlock. Most of the time it's pretty easy finding vBulletin arcade games that way. Figured I was bored so might as well try some out, see if there were any good strategy/puzzle games in the list - so far, not much luck :sad:
    Besides, this way it might help if a poll happens to see what games should be added to the list and it picks up on games which have the same theme. Some work better than others and there's no point in having slow games in the arcade cos the chances are nobody'll play them.

Edit: Word Up's good. I can see that being very popular on here.
    Zelda... Wii's better :p (assuming I had the right one :s)
    Spider Jump was just a spider jumping from rope to rope, got bored so didn't bother continuing.
    Arkanoid is just that brick game where you smash it bit by bit with a ball.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Ahhh k, thought they were in our Arcade somewhere. I've been looking and thought I was going a madder than usual ...

My want list: Frogger has to be put in. Galaga would be good if it could be found, another classic. Bubble Bobble and Battle Zone too! If only ...

4. Peter

Peter Administrator

I think it's gonna be wayyyyyyyy too tedious to upload and test them individually (some of them are bound to not work) so here's the best way I can think of approaching it:

I'll upload like 20-50 games now, if people report the broken ones and rate the bad ones Ches and I can delete them. In a week or so I'll up another batch and the proccess can be repeated for those.

If there are any games anyone particularly wants off the list then I can just upload those as the requests come in...

I also discovered it's possible to sort the games into categories which would probably help organise the arcade a bit more...

[STRIKE]Hmmm, I might dedicate a new thread to this cause....[/STRIKE]

Thead here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Vik

Vik New Member

Would it be possible to have two-player arcade games?

6. Peter

Peter Administrator

There were wisperings of such support but I've yet to see anything and I doubt such a game would be sustainable seeing as the person hosting it would be handling 1000s of connections from all the users from all the arcades across the web.

7. storm

storm Forum Tempest

About eXy:

[​IMG]

Can something be done about that best score of all time record, because eXy's scores were deleted but that one is remaining.

8. *AJ*

*AJ* New Member

Not really a complaint but I'm guessing the scoring system is blatently screwed up. I've played Mahjong loads and judging by the times in the scores list, they are correct. I've roughly timed myself a few times while playing so I know it's right. But even though I've times of 3 minutes something I'm still not going up and I can't work out why. I clear the board and obviously there are no hints or swaps so what's going on? :sad:

9. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Eep. That Makai Grand Prix 2.
    I have never played it - the scores against my name are from my 7 yr old son.
    But.....he was all excited cos he got a high-score......but when I questioned him about how he did it (as I had seen him leave the computer to go to the toilet) - he said all he did was sit on the sideline whilst he went......and left it a little longer....and the time just kept adding up ...............

So.....can someone (Peter/Ches/Mod) delete my score on that one - it really doesn't count. Seems a little silly really that you get point for just sitting on the sideline doing nothing.

10. Ooh, that's good! I should leave it like that for 24 hours :D lol.

Okay, it's bad. But if it's that silly to get a good score, than maybe Peter should delete it? :S

11. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Erm.. this isn't a complaint, as I dislike complaining about anything, just a suggestion per say. You know on the tournament screen it says:

Am I the only one that doesn't get reminded, or does this happen to everyone? If I'm wrong then please let me know.
    The only reason I ask is that it's slightly annoying waiting for people to play their turn. If some players are unaware that they may be disqualified, then it may cause annoyance to the both the inactive player for being eliminated and other people in the tourney having to wait. The best way, in my opinion, to remind someone would be in the form of a PM.

2 people like this.
  12. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I remember NoHints asking whether the 'reminder' just meant that it goes red, because if so, that wasn't a very good reminder.

I'd like the idea of a PM or notification. I hope Peter will make it his next coding project :)

13. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Can I suggest we get rid of these two games:

Makai Grand Prix 2. - see my post just up there The points are based on how long you drive around the track......but if you sit on the sideline......it just keeps adding up.

Mouse Kill - again, it's down to how long you could be bothered - there's no way to end the game except extreme boredom/RSI :rolleyes:

14. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Ha ... boredom? You know nothing of boredom. I found a game on another site called "Hold The Button" and all you do is keep your mouse button held down for as long as possible. I managed around 8 minutes before I started to fall asleep. So I lodged the mouse in a drawer with the button held in and went to bed. Got up in the morning and had a high score of about 8 and half hours. Bustin hi scores in my sleep, innit!

15. Saffron

Saffron Forum Spice

Can I make a couple of suggestions for the Arcade:

If it is possible to set it up so that a player is automatically sent a PM once a certain event happens, can we send one to a competitor:
    1. After 3 days of not playing their round
    2. After 6 days, explaining they will be disqualified within 24 hours if they don't play
    3. To all registered entrants when a tournament fills and is ready to start. Some tourny's take a long time to fill all spaces (eg Summer Games just filled after....a month or so?). People who have registered a few weeks ago may not realise it has started.

If this can't be automated, I wouldn't bother as I guess it is really up to the entrants to keep checking their tournaments.....but if it can be.....it may help limit the disqualifications from not playing, and speed the rounds up a little.

16. TempusFugit

TempusFugit <i>Forum Clock</i>

In absence of the automated system, if you refer to my post HERE I have taken on that role for the time being :)

It's not ideal, but at least it will help the tournaments run a bit quicker and avoid players being disqualified.

4 people like this.
  17. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Thanks TF. This reminds me of the time where both Aless and me both forgot to play in the second round of the recent Turbo Turtle tourney. We were both disqualified simultaneously, but I went through to the final from the first round's points.

18. storm

storm Forum Tempest

I would really like it if the bugs in the Arcade were cleared up w.r.t progression in tournaments.

db says that although he and Alessadri forgot to play in the semi finals of the Turbo Turtle tourny, db got progressed based on his score in the first round

however in the Pacman tourny when Deadpan got a higher score than MrsN in the first round (and then they both forgot to play the semi finals), MrsN was the one who got progressed.

:rolleyes: Eh?

19. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Further to that, I got 68650 in that Tourney, Nerdy got Nil. We both end up disqualified, yet Nerdy went through? How's that work then?

20. storm

storm Forum Tempest

Actually, come to think of it, progression might not depend on score, but on who has been waiting for less time...? If db got to the semis in turbo turtle after Alessadri then he would have been waiting for fewer days; and likewise with Pacman, maybe MrsN was waiting for fewer days? I don't know, it's speculation, but if it's true, then I think it should be changed. I know the 'timer' doesn't appear to start until both players have entered a round, but maybe it /is/ a time thing.