Admin Powers?

Discussion in 'iSketch' started by Deadlock, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

OK bit of a funny one this, see if I can explain.

A couple weeks ago I came on the game, not many players, was in a regular room I think with a few others, general chat and banter at the bottom of the screen. Bit by bit other players drifted away till there was only me and one other player. The game continued, just us, and we were "sort of" playing, and you know how when someone is chatting to you, you sometimes write whatever your reply is on the drawing area. Sometimes when it was a word we couldn't be bothered to draw, instead of skipping we'd scribble the word.

Anyway we were doing this when all of a sudden I got skipped and points removed. I got an "Admin" warning me about writing ... I was quite surprised.

And annoyed. We weren't breaking rules as such ... and weren't cheating, it was just two people in a room, talking, messing around. If others had come in, we'd have stuck to the rules proper. But it was just us.

OK so now you may say, why not make a private room. Well being one of the older players on the game, I didn't know anything about this other player - male female, young old, black white, blah blah - and I wasn't going to make a private room for that. It just looks creepy.

So then I thought, well hold on, if an Admin can see in this room without being there, what about other private UC rooms? Can they lurk and snigger and criticise these rooms' conversations / draws ? How far do their powers go?

I won't name and shame, as that's not allowed. But still - I'd like to know.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member

I don't think you should've been surprised you were skipped in a public room for letters even if it was you and one other person. Not saying it's right, rather saying it's not unexpected.

I strongly believe admins can see conversations inside user-created rooms without being present in the room. They can definitely ban people from said rooms (no, they don't usually utilize the power, but they have it). I know this because I once received an admin ban message from inside the !!!!!!!CYBER room when there was no iSketch admin in the room at the time. For the record, no, I didn't do anything explicitly wrong, I was simply an undesirable user and they recognized the IP I was using from outside.

Deadlock likes this.
  3. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

True I admit, I was more surprised to have had it happen because they weren't there. And that's what got me wondering exactly how much power they have.

Wonder if they can read PM's too between users ....

4. db1986

db1986 Super Moderator

Hmm yeah.. even though it was just the two of you, I guess you still wrote on the canvas so technically you were a naughty boy :p

I've heard along the grapevine that admins can hide inside rooms, so I would imagine this is what happened. As far as user-created rooms go, even though admins don't generally go about their official business in there, I imagine that their extra capabilities extend to these rooms and they ultimately have jurisdiction over the game.

Oh, and with respect to admins reading PMs, I have no idea.

5. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

It'd be nice to have a real Admin's view on this.

6. REM.

REM. Member

ISKETCH

NOT

IWRITE

7. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

Caps lock really helps. Did you even read any of the original post? Two friends chatting.

Still, whatever makes you happy.

8. Tonks

Tonks New Member

"By joining a game, it is assumed that you have read and understood all rules and will abide by them. Remember, if you do not find these rules acceptable, you are still welcome to play in our custom rooms under your own rules. "

It's kind of all there

9. Skevin

Skevin Member

More like Bellatrix.

10. Peter

Peter Administrator

I am positive admins can be invisible, at least public rooms. I am sure I have been in the situation where I have warned a player and an admin comes and starts dispensing justice to multiple scoundrels in the room without the user list having changed.

11. Deadlock

Deadlock Pacmonster

scoundrels.... :)

12. ((-(-_-)-))

((-(-_-)-)) New Member

Well of course they can be invisible in public rooms, how can you not know this! I don't know about private rooms, I don't think so but don't particularly care either, if they are so desperate to be in private room incognito then let them have their sad little fun.

I think writing short msges to each other and even clues to drawing in a room with just TWO people who are clearly chatting and having fun with each other over a period of time is OK. Just writing the word as you describe is stupid though. Even so, an admin being invisible and warning you for it is so pathetic. It removed points as well? LOL, just feel sorry for that admin as clearly a right saddo getting involved when not necessary. Completely different situation if a third person joins. Even communicating in "lol faces" or ticks/crosses is annoying and should be warned imo if it's totally unrelated to drawing and guesses.